Thread: Diet
View Single Post
Old 28-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #628
kitsilano

AFC Member

Just share some thoughts and my experiences with dry food as I used to be the liscensed importer of a certain brand of dog food and do have an understanding about commercial feeds whether for fishes, dogs or cats.

Firstly we must understand that all dry feed in order to achieve its texture and uniformity...go look at any pelleted fish food and you can tell for the same brand in the same pkt...all look the same....the manufacturing process is thr' high heat extrusion and in the process a lot of the nutrition like the various vitamins are reduced by the heat.

Secondly it is a known fact that commercial feed carries feelers...feelers are cheap ingredient that add weight and take up space on the pellet, but contain absolutely no nutritional value...why the manufacturer do it...save cost mah...everytime ingredients cost goes up add more feelers.

Observation...those with wall algae where their fishes feed on the algae and those that feed real food like bloodworm,daphnia etc can see that the stool that their fishes passes out look solid and chunky, but when fed solely on certain brand of pelleted food...the stools look soft and easily breaks up.

Not all commercial feed are bad...there are a lot of good pelleted food in the lfs...what I am trying to share and hopefully we can understand is that dont buy a feed bcos your good friend is using it and his fishes nice...on the side his fishes might be having plenty of vegetation or fbw. Observe the stool that your fishes passes out after consuming certain brand of pelleted food, try some other brand and observe any difference in the stools and the overall well being of your fishes and zero on one or two that you think will serve you well.

My 2 cts.

Regards

Kitsilano
kitsilano is offline   Reply With Quote