View Single Post
Old 14-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #8
decentkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by coral
Hi Maculosus,
good article.
have a question.
i want to keep sps, depth of water above the substrate 24" and live rock about 1 to 1 1/2' above substrate, everyone says you need 250watts MH for 24". my problen is that the coral at the highest point is only about 9" from the surface & I think thats too much light. I would like to go with 80 watt T5's but I wonder if enough light will reach the bottom for sps
would appreciate your opinion
thsnks
my tank set up is similar to yours and i am too keeping sps...however, my advice would be to go for MH...i am using 8 X 54W T5 and the colouration to not what i desire, not only there is insufficient light for the sps at the bottom, those at the top will also not have that intense colouration..

if your tank is a shallow one..preferbly less then 2ft tall then T5 is possible...many colourful sps tank which are running on T5 are less then 2ft tall....but for my tank which is 2.5ft deep, i am only more or less achieving colouration at area directly exposed to the light...in other words...viewing from the front will more or less give me brown corals

however, have to stress that lighting is not as important as water quality