View Single Post
Old 03-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #39
spidy

Thanks DF for your input. I have to work within my physical space constraint so my pond can only be 1000 gallon. Another mindset I have is I can never raise "jumbo" koi in my small pond anyway so this pond will not be heavily stock. It will still be stocked with nishikigoi but more for color and not size. Diamond farm Mr Lee was sharing if I seriously wants to keep "big" koi I can always rent his pond. He has quite a number of such hobbyists.

So my home pond will be a mixed pond of 5 kois (fengshui = 5 blessing) and lots of gold fishes. From my understanding gold fishes are not river fishes so if I turn over the pond very aggressively I am concerned my gold fishes will all be "blown" around like in a storm. Ha ha just my silly thought.

So back to my New Adventure of trying to DIY everything myself :

I have reached out to another ebay seller (BuyPondDirect) who can ship to Singapore using ebay Global Shipping Program. You are right the shipping price is crazily lower. Amazon merchant quoted me US$325 to ship but ebay GSP quote is US$21.55 and with import tax US$51.94 only.

For pump, I am taking your suggestion to get Tsurumis as I have good experience with this brand over the years as well.
For my filter, the spec state max flow is 2500gph so I cannot oversize the pump else the pressurised canister may cracked.

2,000 GPH at 10’ of head is the pump size recommendation by the Ultima filter. I check 40PU2.15S spec and I don't know how to interpret the head thing and the flow. The PU model also have different bore size, so if I am using 2" for all the rest of the piping shouldn't I be looking at 50PU2.4S ? But this model the flow rate is higher than 40PU2.15S

Also there is 50hz/60hz in the spec for Tsurumi PU, is the pump variable speed ? I am thinking of variable speed control pump as well but don't think Tsurumi pump has user controllable speed pump. Any other brands to recommend ?

Will check with Max on the UV over the weekend. Normally UV lifespan is 12mth to 18mth but I generally change annually. Will source around locally for pipe version as those china made expose version has not serve me well over the year. I sometime has to change 3 bulb per year which is almost same price if I buy one good one to last the whole year.

For surface skimmer, I am not sure whether floating skimmer that roam around the pond is better or fixed (pipe to pond bottom) skimmer is better ? Any thought ? Like I said, I won't have leaves around so will mostly be skimming dust and oil.

For Venturi, I intend to do that as I heard good thing about it. Will keep the air-stone at the pond edge below the water fall as backup (using hiblo 40) Anyone has experience with this ?

Pump Chamber,
Since I am using submersible pump to drive the ultima I need a pump chamber. I am think a 3 chamber system of around 1 foot wide. 1st chamber will be settlement from BD and skimmer chamber, 2nd Chamber Oystershell to buffer ph, 3rd chamber is submersible pumps (using separate pump for waterfall)
My concern is will my oyster chamber be very dirty ? Since there is no filtration before it. Or should I pump direct from BD to Ultima in chamber 1 (since we established in my environment we don't need pre-filter)

Once I can confirm I can get the main filter into Singapore myself I will start to revise my drawing.
spidy is offline   Reply With Quote