View Single Post
Old 18-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #12
RonWill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceTan View Post
Bro he is trying to explain to TS that compress air is use for packing fish and not purely oxygen tank as TS wants a oxygen tank to pack fish.
I understand what TS needed and yes, while we can use an air pump to bag fishes for short journeys, it isn't true that compressed air is used in shops. Think logically... how much compressed air can a cylinder hold? Most cylinder gases are delivered in liquid form, including COČ. The simplest analogy I can think of is a cigarette lighter which is filled with liquified butane (probably), not just pressurized gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issacyeo View Post
yes, it is true that MOST gas cylinders are stamped and colour coded. im assuming u come from a company with high standards. we gotta bear in mind that the same supplier to our companies may not necessarily be the same supplier to the LFS. there will always be some small companies which do not adhere to these colour codings.
There is a need to cut operating costs wherever possible but for a LFS dealing with livestock, it doesn't make economic sense to 'cheat' on oxygen and spoil their reputation, not when it cost under $200 for a new cylinder (10kg, IIRC) and that lasts quite a while (depending on sales).

I do not work in the liquid gas supply trade but know that the valves on different gases, be it for industrial, medical or diving cylinders, require different hardware fittings and thread size, to prevent accidental wrong usage.

All that said, personally, I will be piśśed big time should I find the LFS using an air-tubing from a Hi-blow to pack my purchase. I believe most bros here would flip too. [can imagine them going, "narbey... si kiam kanah... use air pump to bag my aro...]

And please... I'm not here to pick an argument but just volunteering to help correct mis-information or urban myths from being needlessly perpetuated further. I speak only from my humble experience and refrain from saying what I don't know with absolute certainty.