View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
Sinubux

Tank Setup 5:
Dimension: Standard 2 feet tank
Filtration: Sump Tank Filtration
Model: Some underwater pump for the outflow
Stimulant: Electricity

After I have decommissioned my 3ft marine tank that is equipped with a 2.5ft sump tank, I decided to start a Frankenstein project to see whether guppies under immense over-filtration conditions will thrive. Since my tank was previously used for marine tank, extra care was taken that the tanks used were free for salt and other residue deposits left behind by its preoccupants. So, shifted the tank to the garage and have a good hose down, even though much new water was wasted. Anyway my sump tank is being divided into 5 main compartments, with the filter compartments from the water flow in to the water flow out having this substrate; coral chips, Japanese filter mats, Bio Rio from ADA, kept this compartment empty so that water testing can be done and lastly a loosely packed filter bags. From the first 3 months since the commencement of this tank, I still stick to my strict regime of underfeeding my fishes so that I can let the bacteria in the sump tank multiply and colonize. That time I started out with 30 pairs of guppies in the same tank. These 30 pairs are my rejects from my swallow and since sticking to the theme of Frankenstein, I was like mixing all the strains together to see what the fishes can give to me. The tank was kept bare except for some awfully bundled raffia strings that I put into the tank for the purpose of letting the fries hide in such a hostile environment. God knows how many fries perished in the tank but at the end of the day when I decided to call off the whole thing, I got like close to 90 over plus pairs in the tank.
What I noticed from the whole setup is that once the filtration kicks in, overfeeding is possible in this case, though I strongly object to it. There are days when I feel that I am too lazy to care about this tank of fishes that I will pour in like ¼ milk can of Tubifex worms into the tank and let the fish feast to the worm, on a daily basis. I notice that the water was so good that the Tubifex worms don’t seems to be dying inside the tank. From my records, water condition was perfect, though nitrate level is very high. Hence decided to soak my air plant collections into the tank to let them absorb the much needed nitrate minerals via the tank. The substrates in the tank were not subjected to any flushing or maintenance on my part even though the tank managed to be operational and very much functional for a period of about 2 years. For those that may want to adopt this setup for your guppies, my suggestion is that you do this tank up for your culls. Save alot of trouble in terms of feeding and providing them to water changing regime. Last point to add, this setup only needs you to replenish water that is loss to the atmosphere via evaporation.