View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 07:07 AM   #3
atom

What is denitrator?
A denitrator is a device using nitrifying bacteria under anaerobic (i.e. without oxygen) conditions to remove nitrates. This process is called biological denitrification.

What is denitrification?
From www.wikipedia.org, it means: Denitrification is the process of reducing nitrate and nitrite, highly oxidised forms of nitrogen available for consumption by many groups of organisms, into gaseous nitrogen, which is far less accessible to life forms but makes up the bulk of our atmosphere. It can be thought of as the opposite of nitrogen fixation, which converts gaseous nitrogen into a more biologically available form. The process is performed by heterotrophic bacteria (such as Paracoccus denitrificans, Thiobacillus denitrificans, and various pseudomonads) from all main proteolytic groups.

OR

Biological Denitrification: a bacteria-mediated (i.e. biological) process in which nitrate is reduced into nitrogen gas by denitrifying bacteria (typically facultative heterotrophes) underanoxic (oxygen-free) conditions. The process requires that an electron donor (typically an organic carbon source) be present for the reaction to go to completion.

Sounds complicated? I think so too and I prefer to coin as:
It is a process to remove nitrogen or nitrogen groups from (a compound).

Last edited by atom; 04-10-2007 at 07:34 AM.