View Single Post
Old 08-01-2016, 08:30 AM   #6
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

The adventure is on!

1. Make sure you have an aerated bottom drain put in your FGT. Bottom drains are an absolute requirement for modern ponds. This should be a drain with an integrated diffuser. For a pond this size, you should need only 1. If your pond is going to be fabricated outside and lowered into a pit in the ground, you could have the drain and piping pre attached.

2. Tangential returns. These are return pipes in the walls of the pond used to circulate water around the bottom drain. one in each corner will be desirable. These can also be pre-attached to the FGT before it is put into the pit. 1" outlets should be adequate. These are usually fed by a tee off the pump return, and are controlled by a valves. Since your pond should be a regular rectangle, you should need to valve only the main feed.

3. Surface skimmer. Provision for a skimmer. Not much point if you can't see your fish due to the scum floating on the surface If you use a shower filter, you will get foam. That foam needs to go somewhere! A no niche unit like the one I am using will probably be easier to plumb than an in wall unit for a fabricated tank as the bottom piping can be pre installed.

4. Compact filtration is very possible!

If you are not adverse to importing the filter hardware, check out the Zakki pressurized sieve. Simple maintenance and suberb water clarity. It has quite a small footprint for the amount of water it can filter. This is the only sieve type unit on the market that can operate above the water level without chopping up fish waste. The unit is about the size of a 55g drum.

http://www.deepwaterkoi.com/Zakki-Si...akki-Sieve.htm

This would have been the system of my choice if I decided not to spring for a rotary drum filter for my mechanical stage.

You just need to feed a Bakki or Zakki shower with this. No need for brushes, no need for mats. As the system is a pressurized unit, it can be installed above ground level. You will need check valves in place for that to work of course.

Filtration can be as simple as bottom drain -> Zakki sieve -> pump -> shower.
DragonFireSG is offline   Reply With Quote