View Single Post
Old 23-08-2006, 11:58 AM   #2
Jikin

Hi RL,

Let me be the first to contribute since I am using both methods. While I am still learning, there may be areas I am not able to address. Life is constantly a learning experience. .

First: CW
Pros:
1. Can enjoy fish + Ornamental value and your guest can also enjoy them.
2. Can produce algae growth on walls of tank. As GF eat them, the color enhances and we do not really need color enhancing food.
3. Can attain minimum ammonia count.

Cons:
1. While ammonia is mimimum, got to take care of nitrite and nitrate counts and this is a headache!
2. Planning need to be taken care of in terms of filtration.
3. Fish cannot be added to the stable tank(ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and BB count) anytime you like when you have new fish.
4. Setup and maintenance cost for filtration is high cost and it take up space. However, sponge is so far most economical.

Now Green Water:
Cons:
1. Everybody knows it. Sometimes you see it, sometimes you don't. However, I am ok with this. Most people find it dirty but green color is quite calming to look at especially when you keep light green color in control and you can see the fishes swimming.

2. When water becomes too dark, you got to change water.
3. When water becomes too dark, fish will get oxygen burn.
4. When green water suddenly clears up, you got to change water.

Pros:
1. GW is natural color enhancer and vitamins for the GF just as vegetables is vitamins and fibre to human. (Ops, not a good analogy...) 2. No need of filtration as GW is nature's filter. Measured the ammonia count in morning and afternoon. Zero count. Night? Not sure but so far, no issue with my fishes.
3. Since no need extra filter, save cost and maintenance. NO need to wash filter. Ha ha I like this.
4. Especially for TVR(speaking from experience. See my thread on "MY experiment with GW"), ranchu developed very well in terms of head growth, color and body shape.
5. PH fluctuation does not seem to be a problem for my GF.
6. No nitrie and nitrate problems. A big relief for me.

I do not feed my fish too much nor do too much water change. No doubt this will encourage growth but I think this kind of excitation is not good for the fish development in the long term. That is, I don't think the fishes can survive long.

Personally, having read so much about GW from china gf website and my personal experience, I actually prefer GW because of the relatively low maintenance and benefits to gf. Of course, this depends if one's environment permits the generation of GW. If this is not possible, then clear water is the only option remaining.