View Single Post
Old 10-08-2005, 03:35 PM   #21
john2gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroboy II
Bro John, what flowrate is most effective then? Thanks.
hello aroboy

depending on the size of the tank, and the wattage of the UVC.

if you have 40 watt UVC.....I'll go w/ 150 gph the most.

but if you have lesser watt UVC (13 watts) ..........alot slower gph will be better, maybe 100 gph or less. but the problem with this is...........w/ a slower gph.....the living parasites/pathogens in the tank....may be able to multiply in a faster rate......... compared to the pathogens being zapped.....thus the UVC serves useless

and if you speed up the flow rate...............not enough dwelling time to zap the pathogens......then again, the uvc serves useless .........since the pathogens are not being killed......and they are also multiplying inside the tank

I am currently running my 13 watt jebo w/ my eheim 2028 with a flow rate of 270 gph. But 270 gph is what Eheim measured when they run w/o media inside. With media inside the canister,eheim 2028 will probably have around 200 gph or less. This set-up of mine, I believe is still too fast for my UVC to kill parasites (fast gph w/ a low watt uvc). That's why I know, my uvc is not able to kill parasites........maybe only some bacterias and free floating algae.

Thats why, if I have the extra money..........I'll go for 40 watt UVC and hook it up w/ a 100 gph pump. Then I will be rest assured.....it is really doing what it supposed to do....