Thread: T5 lightings
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #59
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by aropal View Post
We don’t care what voltage you drive the led at. All we are interested in is how many lumens per watt and how many hours it will run.
I gave a link to the place where the reseller stated that the luxon star led lamp produced 135 lumens. I’ll give it again:
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_i...b532838ed5c169
If you dont know the voltage then how do you know the wattage? The formula is given to you. Wattage = Voltage X Ampere
The higher the voltage, the brighter the LED. Grab an LED, connect it to 1.5V then connect it to 3V, tell me if the LED is brighter at 3V.

You grab a 3W LED and apply 1.5V, it will light up but it will be dim. Now apply 4V and the LED will be very bright. The voltage directly determine the total amount of power the LED will use.

If you apply 3V to a 3W LED that have a max of 4V then technically you are not driving the LED at its max value of 3W. The manufacturer will always give you the max value possible but is it practical to run at the max 4V?

The product posted is 3x 1watt LED, its different from a single 3watt LED. Can a person with 6 hands do the job of 3 normal man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aropal
That is because that particular page shows leds specifically engineered to have narrow bands. The page shows specific data for green, cyan, royal blue, red orange, amber AND WHITE. The coloured led’s are quite obviously narrow band. That is why they are specific colours. The white led’s are not. They can be engineered to have a spectrum covering between 400 and 700nm.

You should indeed be asking the questions. You are described as a senior moderator on this forum and as such you opinion is valued. Thus, it is particularly unhelpful when you present as fact unsupported or misinterpreted information. Your statement that I have claimed it is possible to produce 170 lumens for 1 watt is point in fact.
I have stated from the beginning that 10 lumens per watt is the typical incandescent output and that if the reseller claims a LED produces 17watts of incandescent light it should be equivalent to 170 lumens if true; a fact which I have continually expressed scepticism about.

Further, the light I have bought is not Luxeon. Again, as stated from the beginning the light I have bought to test has a “claimed by the reseller” light output of 17 incandescent watts. This should be 170 lumens but since the same reseller states that 20 watts is 135 lumens on the Luxeon link, this should mean my test lamp produces 114 lumens. Of course the reseller insists this is for 1 watt but this can easily be tested by confirming the current used when running. My guess would be that the reseller made a type-O and this is 114 lumens for 3 watts still a great deal more than the value you previously insisted as being the maximum of 55 lumens for 3 watts.
My answer is above.