Thread: T5 lightings
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 10:19 PM   #53
aropal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarraCuda™ View Post
If you are talking about aquarium lighting, I dont see why light distribution shouldnt be taken into consideration.
If you are looking at a light that is described in terms of its lumen output then you have no basis for making disparaging comments in terms of its lux.

Quote:
Whats the point of having 135 lumens when it can only deliver that value on a small spot?
The primary implementation of led lighting is that each element produces a small amount of light and then focuses it to a specific location. If you want more distributed light then you use more elements focussed on different areas.. If you want more intense light then you focus more elements on THE SAME area.

Quote:
I did mentioned before brightness is affected by the voltage and reflector design. 55lumens is the rating given for a 3V forward voltage for a max 4V LED.
How is this relevant. All we care about is how many lumens are produced per watt.
In terms of keeping fish, plants and invertebrates we might also reasonable be interested in CRI such that the action spectrum of our captive organisms are catered for.

[Incidentally, there are numerous bright LED manufacturers which claim a CRI in excess of 80; the only questions remaining are with regard to the location in the spectrum of that missing 20%]

Quote:
There is no point for a 1000 lumens fixture when the area covered is only 1cmx1cm? All along I'm trying to say that narrow beam LEDs are bright and wide beam LEDs are dim .. so simple
The area covered is not 1cm x 1cm. Each of the three led elements is itself 1cm x 1cm. There are numerous brands of Luxeon led with differing beam angles I believe there are 10, 25 and 30 degree angles available.

Quote:
My view is very clear, by today's technology, there is no way 1watt LED can produce 170 lumens period.
You have insisted upon many facts in this thread which have been baseless or wildly inaccurate from the claimed 55 lumens for 3 watts maximum to the 1cm squared beam spread. Posting inaccurate and unsupported data is unhelpful to anyone.