View Single Post
Old 31-01-2005, 01:49 PM   #14
roidan

yup, precisely it comes to a personal choice whether want would want to overskim for his purpose or not. One may find no point creating a nutrient free environment when organisms in his tank prefer just exactly the opposite. (other than the excess buffer issue) It is a matter of individual preference. Some like living on the edge, some prefer to play it safe by having excess capacity to meet emergencies

Just like i prefer to remove both bad and good things quickly from the water column, rather than worry about chronic overskimming and leave the good things as well as the bad things in the water column and tempting fate should massive chain reaction happens.

Some who worry about overskimming will rather underskim and have more eventual nitrates and then tackling their nitrates via denitrators or other methods. For me, I rather stop nitrates at the root via aggressive skimming and not worry how to deal with significant residual nitrates further down the chain

of coz as long it is a better upgrade from his previous skimmer, whether it is a needlewheel, spray injection, venturi/mazzei/beckett or even within the same product line but the next higher models, it will do the job much better and there will no longer be snail-spawning tank crashes but i just state as a matter of fact that he switched to a miniature beckett just for the record

I have used needlewheels, sprays, venturis/becketts and i know and appreciate the benefits and flaws of each method....and even within the same methods, there are a large variance of results/effectiveness in terms of how the *technology* is used. This little experience of mine with skimmers sure beats opinions of those who only tried a particular method (or limited range) And i am not saying beckett is the best or needlewheel is the best. I can only say that my beckett is serving my system very well, just like other methods are serving other systems very well too Just that in my context and application, i have gone through changing skimmers, trial and error, only to stop currently at beckett whereby others have failed to satisfy my application demands. Just like some of you probably have also gone through becketts and other methods, and finally stopping currently at needlewheel method

popular surely does not mean effective i agree, reefers can follow trends but ultimately, it comes back to how the reefer have a feel on his system and uses the appropriate equipment. No point having the best equipment but the system is out of whack. Like i said earlier, alot depends on judgement and some just have better judgement than others. It's always a balance between the human touch and equipment, be it reefing or other aspects