View Single Post
Old 26-02-2016, 03:13 AM   #30
spidy

As promised, the visit to the 6 ton koi pond using Ultima was fantastic.

The system (Ultima 4000) has been in placed for 18 month and the koi are huge (easily above 65cm). Water is crystal clear like watching HD TV. The owner backwash the system around 2 time per week but he mentioned he has ever stretched it to 2 week once when he is busy travelling. Each time the backwash take 15min and it is hands dry ! There is no pre-filter, the bottom drain goes directly into the Ultima. He is using a dry pump and there is a strainer but it was clear all the time. He has a chamber for Oyster shell and of course UV steriliser.

As our pond are both in-door (sheltered), there is hardly any large debris (like falling leaves) falling into the water. So he doesn't think a pre-filter is needed (since his pond has never needed one for solid debris) He has tested his water regularly in the beginning for ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and all are perfect, since then the pond has been trouble free.
We discussed to further polish the water maybe we add in a bakki shower or trickle tower. As mine is a smaller 4 ton pond, we are planning to use submersible pump as it is more readily available and can run 24x7x365. Most dry pump cannot run 24 hour non-stop unless the high end one which is not easily found in Singapore. The owner actually ordered his from Australia.

Does anyone knows where can I buy a bakki shower or trickle tower or who can customise one if they are not off the shelf in Singapore ? My idea is to integrate it into the Waterfall wall. If I am using airstone do I still need to do venturi ?
spidy is offline   Reply With Quote