View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
FireEel

Default My very first planted aquarium!

First up, I am back...after dunno 3 or more years or so of absence, where I failed in my duties as a fish keeper due to laziness and neglect, causing my bichir comm tank to wipe, I have decided to start anew with a planted tank.

Well...firstly, the three big plants of the left, and the rightmost plant are plastics. I use plastic as firstly, I am not confident of my ability to keep the plants alive, secondly, I have not gotten CO2.

Also, I messed up! Should have read through some of the guides on Iwagumi's or Amano's aquascaping guide. Now my current one is just a big jumbled mess of various plants, both real and fake that I thought looked nice.

Also, choosing to use a black backpaper and the big driftwood deco as "focal point" was a bad choice, since the driftwood can hardly be seen.

So I got rid of the black backpaper.

Any advice on choosing a proper backpaper color to bring out the colors of the dark brown driftwood(to turn it into the focal point). Not an easy task I know, considering the distractingly vibrant colors of the real and fake plants, some magic is needed here.

There are currently five small kuhli loaches, two "rainbow fish", and five assassin snails.

EDIT: Tank dimensions are 48 x 30 x 30.

Last edited by FireEel; 12-11-2010 at 12:27 AM.