View Single Post
Old 28-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #12
avid
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleBubble View Post
Maybe one male will mate with a girl... and the other male will squeeze 3.

The science i looked at is not comprehensive enough... very small sample size and poor replication. But if u look at their biology u can guess a few things... 1, males brood for 2 months thereabouts... can he brood 6 times a year? Very unlikely... not to mention seasonal variations especially considering animals are not suppose to be stupid they wun breed when they know food supply for their babies is going to be a problem. 2, how long does it take a set of female gonads to mature? Well... ladies produce big eggs and would need time invested to get them eggs big enough... age dependent also. I project 2-3 months per gonad set so... max 4 times a year. Factor in seasons 3 max.

Mate choice. So... let's forget males for now assuming they chase every skirt around. If u r a female and u decided u love a particular male when her eggs go down and up his throat she stays with him for a few days. If this male chokes or starts eating her eggs u think she wants him for a lover? No obviously. Not steady... sperm not strong... fker... things like that. The question can also be asked the other way... if the male is a super strong mouth brooder carrying her eggs through thick and thin u think she will forget him? Again, no... obviously. Mate choice ofcos is going to be much more complex becos men r just not as smart as we think we r.

So... will both males chase after the females u wanna put in a pond... that's ur question. My answer? Very many... too complex to answer. Assuming everything in place... heaven sky earth energy brain power TLC watnot... all there... nothing missing... a typical male can afford to go hungry at 2 month stretches for say 3 times a year... on-off starving... assuming he so gung-ho... and ur other females like him by some mate choice selection criteria we men dun understand and may never understand. For a typical female... she can theoretically spawn 4 times a year... assuming she's either stupid or too darn smart knowing we men will make food available to her kids no matter what season and weather.

If u wanna learn more about aro spawning perhaps doing it in a tank would be better. More control... questions can be answered taking out variables... this that u learn more that way. Why need pond? Forget pond... unless u have it in ur balcony... and u can see and understand more.

Or... r u getting ahead of urself? Hahaha...

Thanks bro thank you for sharing your knowledge.
I'm glad i posted question in my mind

what i mean is If i keep 2 males with many females.
Both males can mate and have eggs with females?
or will there be only one male which will be allowed to mate.
like alpha male and the 2nd male wont be able to mate?

I'll try to move some to tank.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote