Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Filter recomendation for 3feet tank (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458425)

charlesT 03-04-2011 10:06 PM

Filter recomendation for 3feet tank
 
Hi all :D.. Any bros/sis have any filter system to recommend for 3x1.5x1.5 tank.. It's a brace-less tank so not sure OHF is safe to use cos of the weight on the tank.. I've thought of my next option which is Hang on filter.. Any comments or advice greatly appreciated :D.

songy 03-04-2011 10:10 PM

Hi bro. Maybe you can try canister :) don't think hang on filter will be able to do the job. What live stock do you intend to have inside?

charlesT 03-04-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songy (Post 8363832)
Hi bro. Maybe you can try canister :) don't think hang on filter will be able to do the job. What live stock do you intend to have inside?

Intend to keep 2pieces of goldfish :). Cannister needs floor space.. Lol. Any idea of flow rate of HOF? :D

Weiliang 03-04-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlesT (Post 8363851)
Intend to keep 2pieces of goldfish :). Cannister needs floor space.. Lol. Any idea of flow rate of HOF? :D

Depends on the pump you are using to drive the OHF.

May I suggest using hang on back (HOB) filter? Quiet, larger ones come with good flow rate and it's easier to maintain.

Will prefer if you get a proper canister filter as you might want to standby for higher bio load in future.

Hope this helps,
Weiliang

AiZaiApple 03-04-2011 10:34 PM

IMO you can use those single tier black box overhead filter , use jap mat as bio media and wool for mec . very light and not much weight on your tank set up :D

some_1s 03-04-2011 10:37 PM

OHF filter will be better because goldfish give out many poo

charlesT 03-04-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weiliang (Post 8363869)
Depends on the pump you are using to drive the OHF.

May I suggest using hang on back (HOB) filter? Quiet, larger ones come with good flow rate and it's easier to maintain.

Will prefer if you get a proper canister filter as you might want to standby for higher bio load in future.

Hope this helps,
Weiliang

thanks bro, I've never heard abt Hang on back filter.. Able to put media inside or just sponge only?

AiZaiApple 03-04-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlesT (Post 8363903)
thanks bro, I've never heard abt Hang on back filter.. Able to put media inside or just sponge only?

IMO a Hang on back filter is a Hang on filter . can put media but i dont think can hold much . :)

songy 04-04-2011 01:24 AM

Yea. Agree. Using hof for my 2ft. Can't hold much media but does the job. But not for my 3ft.

Tustar 04-04-2011 01:38 AM

2 gold fish u get those largest HOF shld do the trick

charlesT 04-04-2011 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AiZaiApple (Post 8363890)
IMO you can use those single tier black box overhead filter , use jap mat as bio media and wool for mec . very light and not much weight on your tank set up :D

thanks.. is one layer of jap mat enough BB as a bio filter?

charlesT 04-04-2011 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tustar (Post 8364349)
2 gold fish u get those largest HOF shld do the trick

any idea of the flowrate for those large HOF you mention? :confused:

Hershley 04-04-2011 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlesT (Post 8364393)
any idea of the flowrate for those large HOF you mention? :confused:

The black box type. I m keep goldfish in 3 ft tank wit 2 big sponge filters. More aeration. Jus wash the sponge whenever dirty n siphon the waste oso ok.

charlesT 05-04-2011 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hershley (Post 8364588)
The black box type. I m keep goldfish in 3 ft tank wit 2 big sponge filters. More aeration. Jus wash the sponge whenever dirty n siphon the waste oso ok.

thanks bro for the input.. how often you do WC running on sponge filters? you refering to those driven by bubbles right? :)

charlesT 05-04-2011 02:04 AM

i just visited nanyang seaview to get ideas (inspiration :P) on filters for my tank.

i'm thinking of getting a dolphin 3ft black box OHF, inside put jap mat and wool. And also a plastic corner filter (guppy brand) run by bubbles, inside dont put wool, but put as much ceramic rings as i can fit inside.

intending to keep 2-3 pieces of goldfish, any comments on this set up can tahan the bioload? :D


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 04:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2008 Arofanatics.com (Since 30th August 2000)