Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Goldfish & Koi Forum (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   1st Koi FGT using Ecosand system (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538993)

alsocan 04-12-2017 05:53 PM

1st Koi FGT using Ecosand system

Hi all in Koi keeping community.....

I would like to share my journey to setup my very 1st FGT for Koi....

A bit of background... I have stopped all fish keeping since my NSF days due to time constraints plus also I started working so I shelved everything.

I used to keep betta and at my peak... I had over 100 betta in my room hehe... fun times as a teenager with no work obligations...

So since I dropped the fish keeping hobby back then... I have been patiently waiting for a time I have the capacity (financial, time and space) to invest in a long term setup.

So excited that that time has finally come.... more than 10years of patient waiting...

Will share my journey with pics subsequently:)

alsocan 04-12-2017 06:35 PM

Start of journey...

since I stopped fish keeping... there have been many advancements in systems and technology.... for my purposes.. I wanted to invest in a setup with min. maintenance given the reasons why I stopped in the first place...

I have to travel for work regularly, sometimes for weeks and I would not be able to cope with a regular filtration setup....

Also, I wanted to keep Koi since it has been my dream since teens....
I recall drooling over the fantastic ponds I see online... and always hoped 1 day I can have a koi pond of my own....

given constraints living in SG, landed property is out of the question.... so best I could do was to invest in a property with a balcony....

I finally found 1, although with a drawback... the balcony I have is open to sky... developer did not allow for buildable area to construct a shelter....

So... step 1 decision....
Balcony meant in ground pond is out.
Next best option would be either FGT or Glass tank
Considering balcony is open to sky, I decided to go with FGT.
but I had to solve the problem of providing some shade for the Koi.
I will not have the luxury of getting a deep FGT given load constraints etc.

shawnng79 05-12-2017 10:34 AM

won't the koi outgrow a normal 5ft-6ft fgt pretty fast?

Congrats on fulfilling your dream but not sure if koi is a good option

having said that, consider a UV filter to rid the algae since it will be out in the open

Aro77 05-12-2017 10:51 AM

welcome back to the hobby :)

you should check out this thread by bro Thomas - http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=528319

he built a beautiful FGT at his balcony, unfortunately with the photo bucket issue, u cant see the pics but the thread is definitely worth a read, i believe in the later pages there are some youtube videos and you could possibly refer to those for a rough idea of how his pond looks like.

alsocan 05-12-2017 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnng79 (Post 10004871)
won't the koi outgrow a normal 5ft-6ft fgt pretty fast?

Congrats on fulfilling your dream but not sure if koi is a good option

having said that, consider a UV filter to rid the algae since it will be out in the open

Thx Bro... I actually ordered a 7 feet by 3 feet by 2.5 feet high FGT.

Will share pics next.....

alsocan 05-12-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aro77 (Post 10004872)
welcome back to the hobby :)

you should check out this thread by bro Thomas -

he built a beautiful FGT at his balcony, unfortunately with the photo bucket issue, u cant see the pics but the thread is definitely worth a read, i believe in the later pages there are some youtube videos and you could possibly refer to those for a rough idea of how his pond looks like.

Yes, I read bro Thomas thread... lots of interesting stories...
Gave me inspiration too actually...

Aro77 06-12-2017 02:23 AM

7 x 3 x 2.5 is a decent size fgt, how many Kois do you intend to keep?

alsocan 06-12-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aro77 (Post 10004898)
7 x 3 x 2.5 is a decent size fgt, how many Kois do you intend to keep?

Well... I have been trying to post pics... but somehow cant...

I have 3 juvenile tinfoil barbs given to me... now about 2.5 inches long.
On top of that I plan to get max. 6 koi... (1 black one inclusive)

Fengshui number 9 total with 1 black.