Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Species Profiles & Resources (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   wild Heros.... (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326786)

ROOT 28-07-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicktc (Post 6004333)
:cool: This picture is really nice.

look like something?? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimbellis (Post 6006340)
The fry are so cute! Let me know when the fry are ready for sale.;)

will do.. IF i can raise them to a good size...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave57 (Post 6006499)
congrats!
nice pics.
some questions:

1)How big are the parents?
2)How long after they start brooding that you started "squeezing"?

parents are about 5-6" TL... in Singapore weather, normally the wrigglers will be free swimming on the 4th to 5th day after hatching...

Quote:

Originally Posted by scopeyeo (Post 6006633)
Very nice pair.....hope they will bred very readily soon...

bro, u very funny leh.. already bred... :( :D

ROOT 28-07-2008 12:59 PM

here's the latest pic of the pair... happily feeding after so many days of hardship...

hopefully they will rest till the current batch is of good size before spawning again..

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...cture620-1.jpg

Dave57 28-07-2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROOT (Post 6006821)
parents are about 5-6" TL... in Singapore weather, normally the wrigglers will be free swimming on the 4th to 5th day after hatching...

Thanks for the info.

May I suggest that you allow the parents to bring up their next batch of fry themselves. It would be very interesting to witness their brooding/fry-raising process. I had previously seen a photo of an Eartheater releasing fry from its mouth. That picture is really beautiful. Would love to see pictures of a Heros doing this too...

:D

The Panoramic shot of your tank is very nice! That pike looks jealous.

ROOT 28-07-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave57 (Post 6006966)
Thanks for the info.

May I suggest that you allow the parents to bring up their next batch of fry themselves. It would be very interesting to witness their brooding/fry-raising process. I had previously seen a photo of an Eartheater releasing fry from its mouth. That picture is really beautiful. Would love to see pictures of a Heros doing this too...

:D

The Panoramic shot of your tank is very nice! That pike looks jealous.

sure, as you may understand, as a hobbyist, we tend to play 'safe' and strip these fellas, in case they eat up their fries for some reason.. and especially so for 1st spawn, and that these parents were sold/purchased as 'wild'...

for 2nd spawn, i'm not sure how well these fellas could hold out against the pair of pikes they're now housed with... let's see then!! :)

if only i had more tanks, i would surely let them take care of their next spawn... :(

Dave57 28-07-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROOT (Post 6006982)
sure, as you may understand, as a hobbyist, we tend to play 'safe' and strip these fellas, in case they eat up their fries for some reason.. and especially so for 1st spawn, and that these parents were sold/purchased as 'wild'...

for 2nd spawn, i'm not sure how well these fellas could hold out against the pair of pikes they're now housed with... let's see then!! :)

if only i had more tanks, i would surely let them take care of their next spawn... :(

I understand. The excitement of having new fry and raising them. Breeding them is another part of the joy of keeping cichlids. But as I cant afford to house them, I can only suggest. Anyway, really thanks for taking my suggestion into consideration. :D please update us with more photos if you decided to do it. :D:D

Leong68 28-07-2008 02:57 PM

Nice pair and Nice photo shot. bro

nicktc 28-07-2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROOT (Post 6006982)

Hehe for me it’s the other way round, usually if it is the first spawn, I leave to the parents.

Unless the parents do not do the job, then I may intervene.

But looks like you don’t have a choice with the pikes lurking nearby.

Once again, great pictures and setup.

Can you do an exclusive profile on these wild atabapos singpaore style? :o

atajuni 28-07-2008 04:28 PM

May I know how you could tell the difference between the male and the female for these heros ?

Thank you

nicktc 28-07-2008 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atajuni (Post 6007502)
May I know how you could tell the difference between the male and the female for these heros ?

Thank you

Look closely at the gill plates just below the mouth area, male will have some spots.

See the spots on the male's chin (fish on the left)
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture438.jpg

atajuni 28-07-2008 04:56 PM

Thank you nick. Very great help indeed.