Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements & Guidelines (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   The Rep System (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169983)

jwhtan 17-02-2005 02:26 PM

The Rep System

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/im...cons/icon1.gif

1. There are two mechanism. One is the rep points and the other is the rep altering power.

2. Everyone starts off at 10 rep points which is neutral. We can start from 0 but 10 gives everyone a buffer so tat even if u get zapped from the start, u still hv some way to go.

3. When ur rep points drop below -10, I'll put you under moderation. If it drops below -50, I'll disable ur account.

4. You'll need a minimum of 20 rep points and 50 post counts before you get any rep altering power. So registration of new nicks to destabilise the system will not work.

5. For senior members here, every 1200 days will give them one additional rep altering power. And every 500 rep points members gained will give them one additional rep altering power. Maximum rep power will be 8.

6. A limit to only one click a person can give over a 24 hour period. You can only add or minus once daily. This means you either up your friend or down those u find frivolous.

7. User Spread. You cannot give to the same person until you have given to 100 others. So that means you cannot just click on one until his reps go spiralling down uncontrollably. So if a member has very high reps, that's just many hv voted for him. Or if a member has very low reps, he is disliked by the majority.

8.The rep system is not about right or wrong. It's abt whether someone agrees or disagrees with ur post. No reason is needed. You can say a XBack needs tanning and the someone think u talk rubbish, u can get zapped. You win some , you lose some. Simple as that. It's basically abt opinions. And to a certain extent, the number of friends u have. Remember u hv one click per day and you cannot click the same member again until you hv clicked 100 others, so click wisely. :)

jwhtan 17-02-2005 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavallino
anonymity may allow certain individuals to have a hit-and-run field day..

yes of cos, but by restricting the number of clicks over a 24 hour period and the number of members u need to go thru before getting back to the same person helps to eradicate and minimise this "pitfall" ... the zapping (minus) of rep points may not be related to trade .. it could be the nature of the persons postings .. some members do nothing but upzz the buy/sell threads (when there were post counts), some juz frequent all forums and post " nice fish " .. U may disagree with this and zapped them or some give very good explanation how his method help in his XBack achieving an earlier crossing, u may want to up his points. but regardless, there'll always be opposing views since fishkeeping is a live stock so being added or being zapped, for the normal hobbyists, shd not be taken too seriously. maybe one day, a member has 200 points and someone sees " waoh so many, zapped him one point" .. well please dun kick a fuss cos its not going to make a difference. Just enjoy an additional tool that Vbulletin has.

jwhtan 17-02-2005 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBT
Sometimes ppl may not b as patient as another and some bros gets offended rather easily.Some will start to give not well thot out and rather hurtful comment in which the other party sure cannot tahan one,here the chicken n egg thingy will come into effect and war of words will b inevitable.

We will take to task the person whose comments are vulgar.

jwhtan 17-02-2005 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stryker
Wat is the objective of having such a system???

This is to pass down the "moderation task" to the members themselves ... u see frivolous "nice fish" postings all in one straight mass post manner or similar kind, u dun like them, u zapped them .. u think they are ok, u leave them. U see a member doesn't matter wat occasion, w/o fail promotes the same LFS, U think it's not right, u zapped him ... u think he's sharing, upzz him ..

if the rep altering power is given to 30K above postings, then 99% of members here will not qualify and wat then will be the reason to implement this at all ? 50 posts and u'll hv one rep altering power and the next one more altering power is given at 20,000 posts .. so that's a lot of difference

i think no one single person can zapped another member to oblivion. If one member is zapped badly, then it's almost certainly he's been zapped by many and all these people who zapped him will hv given up the chance to up ther frens.

jwhtan 17-02-2005 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by higher
1) If i've given a point up or down to someone, can that person as well as the community read the comments made, but yet the identity of the person who commented kept anonymous?

The rational behind this i feel is to prevent unnecessary childish backlashes from someone who has gotten zapped.

2) Are the comments compulsary? If not, can they be?

This i feel would (although somewhat futile) prevent some from abusing this system if they had to type a minimum 100 words to justify why they are zapping up or down someone else.

1) The person can read the comments, and the identity of the person is not made know, he remains anonymous

2) The comments are not compulsory, but any vulgarities comments shd be reported and I'll zapped the person spewing vulgarities but I'll not answer those "why i kena zapped" or " who zapped me" questions.

there'll always be those that will upzz you and those that will zapped you .. so at the end of the day, it evens out .... unless the person has no frens

jwhtan 17-02-2005 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tadpole81
If someone is being " sabotage " will his case be reviewed first before suspension ?

I can read all the comments, every single individual

jwhtan 17-02-2005 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mewmender
so... can zap or cannot zap/add to mod and admin? :confused:

the choice is given to the members who/what u zapped or add (including to mod and admin) ... wat kind of post u think enhances the persons reps and wat kind of posts deserves to be zapped ... we wun control that, otherwise it's as good as curtailing member's free will ...

important thing is 1 click over 24 hrs period
cannot click same person until u hv click 50 others
no vulgarities in the comments box

jwhtan 17-02-2005 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavallino
2 points...

1) We collectively form the reputation system
as with the polls, the aggregation of our individual votes are supposed to reflect the collective sentiment of the community. as an individual, we cannot influence the outcome of the poll (or at least we shouldn't be able to).

When people start abusing the system by registering multiple nicks and piling up the votes under a cloak of anonymity, the system loses its integrity. The system's ability to tell people what the community thinks of an issue or the particular individual greatly diminishes. The same will happen with the rep system.

All credit to the mods for a well thought out system. But it still can be abused, mostly because we don't know who is adding/ deducting who and for what. It's free for all, no accountability. It's pointless (and unfair) to expect the mods to keep adding more restrictions to curb the abuse. Just like internet hackers, they'll always find a way.

The integrity of the system can only be upheld by the collective, responsible actions of each and every one of us. It must come from within.

Following up from that..

2) Let's not take this exercise too seriously
If we depend on the polls/ rep systems to tell us the consensus about an issue or the rep of a person, then a lot depends on our confidence in the system. since we cannot verify the integrity of the system in question, then it's in our best interest to use some discretion. Though one could argue that if in the end we still needed to use our own judgment/ discretion, why even use the polls or rep systems at all? To be fair, these systems do not completely break down; they still offer a partial solution. I guess something is better than nothing.

I offer a simple case in point, but note this is not a personal attack against the personalities mentioned. It is purely an objective example.

Iori was polled as the most hated AF member. We all know somewhere in there, there were probably manipulations for and against him.. from friend and foe.. at least that's what i think.. did the poll really reflect what all of us think of him? I would take it with a pinch of salt. For one, i didn't participate in that poll. And for the record i've nothing against him.

But if you look at the reputation system, he has one of the highest rep counts after the mods.

So the most hated member is also one of high repute?

is one system wrong, or both?

Let's not take all this too seriously, yah?

In a poll there was no restrictions, anybody cud vote ... in the rep system, only those with rep power cud vote and the individual has a buffer to begin with, so to manipulate is a little more difficult .. u hv to garner a lot of support either by pm or herd instinct to "kill" someone off and if u do that, u run the risk of being zapped by those who disagree with ur actions too

jwhtan 17-02-2005 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrx
Come on john, I thought i did mention clearly in my post that "unless that person keep posting insulting or personal attacking words for no reason"? remember there's a person kenna ban by either u or alvin not long ago? i dun think that is wrong & in fact, i did warn u, kenny, alvin about that but u all give benefic of doubt nia mah.

The fact is, there r numbers of thread being closed for non vulgarity words involve, even banning a person, u need me to point those to u?

Talking about friends to add u point, this is a forum for aro's hobbyist to learn, share opinion, i dun think we need "friend" to add "point" to us, wat for?

U already said that there's no right or wrong, just agree or disagree, then why we need to add point?

wrx

Yes, we always give benefit of doubt, and tat's why banning is always a last resort ...

threads being closed when there's no vulgarity ? banning a person? by this I take it tat u opined there was a mistake in the mods action ? if yes, I do need u to point out to me ... but lest it be mistaken, vulgarity is not the sole reason for closing threads ... one example ... I pawn my dog to buy aro thread or why i feed my aro dog meat they dun want to eat .. this kind of threads are just frivolous and does nothing to improve the hobby, by and large ... and is created solely for annoyance ..

Wat for add or minus rep points ? it's not abt wat for ? it's a system where to a certain extent, the moderation task is entrusted to the members, assuming the members are matured and can see the merits of this system.

Who is contributing, who is not can easily tell ? yes and no ... there's a herd instinct in here, and u know it too, how many times hv we tried to tell them crossbreeds, abt brand names, abt wat matters and wat not matters ... u ask urself, did it work ? did they take ur advice ? it is precisely because we're all individuals, having a mind of our own, that all of us, think wat we hv experienced as being correct and not being able to try and see the other view. I hv a question, is intense colouration or crossing considered the more important criteria in a xback ? no conclusive answer ..

the grouse that I expound .. who add me, who zap me ... this whining is basically the one single grouse tat I have abt the system ... for all the matured and thinking people around, there is always the frivolous ones too .. but we cannot abort or stop an idea just for these few people

i understand abt ur expressing opinions on this webby and sincerely, i appreciate it ...

it is however my responsibility to explain the merits in a system tat i see as something that can work ...

jwhtan 17-02-2005 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neon
well...

as for reputation point for some "normal" member...well...some might get very very high point BUT...do they really contribute constructive postings in keepin arowana???some do,but some get their rep.point bcoz they are "famous" in certain forum...example...chat/gossip forum.

whats constructive and whats now? any guideline??

telling that he/she found a formula in increasing shine in x back etc.. = constructive?

telling that he/she got alot of arowanas at home = experience+good aro keeper??

Wat is constructive ? wat is not ? no clear answer .. wat u see is constructive is constructive .. it is ur opinion .. this system entrust that decision making to you and you make the decision whether its constructive or not ..... yes, there is always room for improvement but first, the basics must be understood so that we're on the same wavelength ... again, its not abt right or wrong .. its abt opinions and to a certain extent, ur frens here. After all, this is a community, a community of fish lovers where we all want to make frens as well as learn more abt our chosen hobby

jwhtan 17-02-2005 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM32

1. I do not like your Thread - This will discourage bros posting new thread
on subject about aros especially the newbies
whom may have little knowledge or nothing.
They may afraid that their thread will be out
of point - hence get zap.
Sorry, i do not mean all newbies has little
knowledge - they are very experienced ones
too.:p

2. I disagree with your opinion - This will kill freedom of view/opinion
Or you speak against my view:rolleyes:

We should encourage bros to put up more threads and i believe that the purpose of AF and why bros/siss are here. These are what i believe Moderators are trying to discourage by adopting this reputation system. We want the system to work but on the otherhand we tell bros not to bother too much about the "rep" point as long as it does not fall beyong -10 sound rather contraditing. For the system to work well, bros must be driven to valued their "rep" point. I am very sure, with very single point zapped, his emotion/feeling will be affected especially without even knowing "WHY". It is good if he/she is rightfully zapped by a member. This make job much easier for the moderator cos now you have members acting as your neigbourhood police watch group.:) But, we need a double proof system to managed the "Down" or "Zap" or else it will be abused and it will HURT bros and discourage them to free opnion or participation. Eventually, AF may become a monotonous and bore. Imagine, everybody having same opinion:rolleyes:

Sirs, our government of parliament also do not want that to happen, they put in place some Neutral Persons to speak out. We need these type of bros in AF too.

In my opinion, may I seek your reconsideration to study my proposal:

You need at least 2 persons to down "1 point" on the same "subject" within 24 hours before the zap is counted. 4 persons = 2 points and so on..........
Sir, this will eliminate personal attack. There will bound to have many bros to speak against a bro if his thread is flamming, insulting or attacking.
But why allow only a person to down a bro for just a different opinion.

The whole thing is abt opinion ... actually even mods decision is all on opinions .. let's say this guy keeps posting something for sale, and its always the same thing ... so we tell him, u hv been consistently selling this stuff, pls do post ur sale at commercial ... i tell u, there'll be 3 kinds of replies .. 1) I not making profit/making very little profit, so its not commercial 2) this is a good lobang, i'm juz sharing lobang, isn't AF all abt sharing ? 3) sorry, it is not my intention to circumvent the guidelines, i'll do so in future .. so wat does tat say ? we'll insist and enforce our guidelines .. but obviously those who disagree will disagree, so again tat is abt opinions .. we can't even conclude the member is wrong .. juz tat in this forum, the mods opinion counts in moderating ...

In this rep system, the opinion is left to the members .. why not two members .. if the post or thread is genuinely bad, tat member will not be zapped by one, he'll be zapped by many, to get two members to zap same post is quite unlikely ...

I disagree with ur opinion will kill freedom of speech/opinion ? - personally i dun think so, disagreeing is by itself an opinion ... why we allow this disagreement to turn to zapping ... in many scenarios we come across, the thread inevitably turns into flaming when disagreement occurs .. many do not want to give their opinion and they just keep quiet, this system allows them to have a say, the silent majority to have a say, in their opinions w/o engaging in the verbal war .

In time to come, most members will hv their rep points gradually increase.

Discourage newbie threads ? not necessarily so, but i hope to discourage frivolous multiple postings of the same thread .. yesterday, one member posted 3 threads " Are u Asian" in arotalk, in chat and in gatherings ... the thread is inappropriate and worse, it spams 3 forums .. so where do we draw a line wat to encourage, discourage ? other than the arotalk FAQ (which very little people read), we've also hv Freshwater Forum Resources and Articles, Planted Forum Resources and Articles, Marine Resources and Articles, why not read up all this before starting a new thread ? I understand newbie concerns, because i'm a newbie in certain aspects too but the archive has so many things to read ? why start another thread on the same ? seriously the level of discussion cannot improve unless the members start to consider this a serious forum .. the mods can lead by starting new threads ... I hv one question for all to ponder ... where are those guys that started with us in 2000/2001/even 2002 ... how many are still here, besides wrx, EH etc still quite active, so many hv actually very little postings since .. wat is the reason ? the forum has too little topic of good discussion and too many frivolous postings/threads .. " why my aro dun eat ? " or " will my 8" flowerhorn kill my 10" aro?" ... in a forum having a demographics as wide as AF, moderating cannot eradicate these postings, it cannot bring the level of discussion higher ... i'll say, let's cut this crap threads out ... but how to do this ? closing all those threads ? tat will be draconian .. actually even those frivolous threads hv their set of supporters, and not because they think it shd be here but because they think its entertaining .. so this method is to give the power of moderating to the members with some safeguards thrown in. U can't eliminate relationship problem... who dun like who ? but we can prevent the continuous zapping of the same person by the same person ... and tat's wat we hv done

jwhtan 17-02-2005 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neon
I fully agree with your reason on why those member from 2000-2002 isn't so active anymore.it might be due to changing to another hobby,comp prob and the highest possinility is this aro forum LACK of interesting thread.

Recently,lots of people post up pic of an aro and ask people to guess the breed.i wonder why?izzit to educate people about the types of aro or they jz want to seek for genuine opinion?no offence to those that open up that thread.

Been in this forum for few years,i gotta admit that this forum has went thru some "revolution" till some information is misintepret by members.the common one that i usually read here is...some members says that x back is suppose to have spoon head but actually...x back should have bullet head.classic x back has bullet head and not spoon head.of course,there is some classic x back that has spoon head and i dont deny that.

We dont have much interesting thread in this forum.in fact,sometimes, some "clown" will jz appear in this forum and make every members to hate them.. eghttp://arofanatics.com/forums/images...es/redface.gifpen a thread and say that "using corner bubble filter will increase colouration of aro"...etc..this is suppose to be the tread for people to exchange opinion but it ended up as a flaming thread.

We need some constructive thread in this forum and I can only think of few for now..eg:the diff between hgrtg,rtg,hbrtg (we have this thread in here and i believe alot of members gain new knowledge thru the discussion)...diff between YT and 1.5( i was involve in this last time but thanx to bro wrx for enlightened me)we need thread that can help to educate every members here. We need thread that can gain participation from members here to post up their opinion and this is what forum is what about.

.................................................. ..................................................

jwhtan 17-02-2005 04:12 PM

Why dun we make whoever zaps the reps be known ?

The likelihood is that threads will be started targetting at individuals
Why u down my reps ?
Wat makes u think I'm not a true fishkeeper
and when there's no reply
Coward, Idiot, Imbecile, Hide behind computer etc

Basically this is also to allow the silent majority to hv a say w/o engaging in flames. And lest u guys be mistaken that I'm immune from this, no I'm not. I'm just as susceptible to being zap points w/o people giving me a reason. For those members I see them as credible, I'll ask them. For others, I dun even bother. That is because the system has been entrusted to them to make the individual choice of wat they want to do. In a thread, I can see some saying they dun care and dun participate and I go take a look at their records. Bingo, they hv a track record of zapping others too. :p

Basically every system has its merits and demerits, its the people using it tat determines how good the system is ... in a system, because of free will, some will follow the system and make the best of it, some will continually whine amidst suspicions of conspiracy and some will think of methods/ways to abuse it .. this is inevitable

jwhtan 17-02-2005 04:35 PM

Before we implement, we ask ourselves ...

wat else can we do to improve the webby ? wat else can we do to cut out those frivolous threads or unconstructive posts ? will it be nothing ? cos wat we implement may not work ? and then we sit by and do nothing .. or we implement a system tat if properly used, can and will work ...

I'll like to achieve a forum where we can leave most things to the members, tat they can dictate how we progress, maybe like some say, this forum in not mature enough for this but Arofanatics is into its fifth year , when are they going to mature ?

In a very short summary, it is abt threads/postings/members tat are frivolous, the members hv the say to zap them. Or in others like those at the Resources/Articles Forums where members contribute, we add them. Basically, we pass the onus to members to encourage good contributions, discourage frivolous postings.

Please do not pm me why ur reps got zapped, cos I dunno. Its all individual opinions, much like I wun know why u add/zapped another person (including me) and please dun start threads to whine and spew negatives like cowards, idiots, imbeciles etc

Any questions on the system itself, not answered above, u can ask here. But, please dun tok cok here.

For those who are bothered by this system or simply do not wish to be part of it, switch ur board settings that is located at the bottom left hand corner of the main forum page, from Arofanatics (default) to vBulletin3 .. u still have a choice

Honeystar 21-02-2005 01:17 AM

hmn...how come this thread is all bro john replying only?

after reading all the reply, i felt that most of the reply is quite logical. However i have a suggestion. Is it possible to start a forum which could let bro/sis blend into the crowd more easily? something like a 'feedback forum'. Like bro/sis can post their 'zap or add rep' into that forum. like that, the rest of us can learn from it and improve ourself so that we can blend into the crowd. This forum is not to pinpoint at one another, but to provide an area of improvement. So that as time goes by, we can expect better reply from bro/sis whenever a thread is started. :D

jwhtan 28-02-2005 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiisoka
interesting. i just got zap until left 2 reputation points, wonder which post i offended people and who. anyways to check????

quite interested to know who zap my rep and why.
i dun care abt the points, but if it indicate some people are unhappy with me
or what i said i feel i should have the right to rectify that :)

check ur user cp ... if there're comments u'll know wat they are .. if not u can at least know which post

rahl 02-03-2005 11:54 AM

I think for the system to work they have to remain unknown by default (of cos they can choose to be known).

How about making it compulsory to click reasons for zapping like selecting from a number of choices, with option to leave own comments in a text field. This is to prevent pple from leaving "kjwhiufgwhguerhg" in a text field.

Having said that, I think most of the time we know vaguely why we are zapped, cos we know the thread and we know what we said in it. Its accepting the zapping that is difficult.

jwhtan 02-03-2005 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by confusekid
I got zap for correcting someone? and pointing to another website that have extensive info about certain topic? If this is the case then I will not post anything any more as you get zap for sharing!!!

isolated case ... so i wun dwell very much on it ...
but the disagreement may be that u ask members here to go to another forum or it is interpreted as such ... and tat's why u got zapped
if i were sharing, i wud hv cut and paste the answer and credit the website for it

jwhtan 02-03-2005 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbei
I think the reason that one feels uncomfortable when you get a minus point is because this system is called 'reputation'. So when you get hit you feel like you've taken a hit on your reputation. However if this system is called 'x-factor' or something else then it becomes just numbers. :)
In fact, calling this system 'reputation' is not exactly fitting, unless it is actually reputation. For example, a person could get zapped because someone does not agree with his/her opinion. But does that mean this person who got zapped has a low repute? A minus point on a reputation should only happen when the person cheats, lies, blackmail or whatever. A minus point on a person's opinion should not reflect on his reputation, but just his opinion. But just because the system is not able to differentiate the two senarios, why should they both be lumped together into an all-encompassing 'reputation'?

this is actually a vBulletin system and reputation refers to forum reputation, nothing to do with a person's real life reputation at all.

Quote:

The bad thing is that no one dares to post any controversial things anymore. In real life one could cautiously voice 'disagreement', and react according to the situation. One could even suggest something totally away from the norm and then try to convince people. However online, there are no clues, no body language and even no sound. You don't know who might come along and violently object to your post. And when that happens you have no chance to even 'rectify' or even agree to disagree.

ie maybe Person A asks "Is bio-habitat" a good way of reducing nitrates.

Possibily many people knows that it doesn't but no one dares to voice out. Because whether you are right or not, there will be people who think other wise. You might get a minus with a comment "I use bio-habitat and it works so I zap you." And then you'll go O.o"? And this example could be verified. What about those that are mainly a matter of opinion? ie Person B asks "Is a weekly water change enough"? I expect nobody will dare to say "yes" even if that is what they practice, because there is always people who do it twice weekly or even more. Nobody wants to risk getting "You are lazy so I zap you".

The end result would be that everybody agrees with everybody. Without 'challenges' and opposition, breakthroughs in learning or discovery of new knowledge or even new methods of doing things - all these could be shifted to a lower gear.
I refer this thread to you. To me, this clearly shows the debate is alive and kicking. It is not just about disagreement, but how u put forth ur disagreement. This thread shows although there are old established thoughts that are widely accepted, u can still disagree and challenge. Of cos, u hv to challenge with a clear view and perspective. To me, it encourages responsible debate.
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=170807

With regards to ur water changing example, I refer you to this thread, I think that speaks for itself
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=170891

Quote:

lastly,(I'm not sure how to explain the following but I'll try ) the reputation points appears to be indicative of general consensus. However, it is not! The reputation will only reflect accurately on ones reputation if everyone gets to vote. For example, if you see a person who is having a below average reputation point, do you immediately get the impression that this person has more people 'against' him than 'for' him, in respect to the total user base? If so, then rethink it again. The reputation points of any particular person is not the result of a computation of points contributed by every user. It merely shows how many people had made a zap on him/her. While this may look like the same thing, it is not. Lets take this example of a person with -50 posts. It shows that he/she has 'offended' 50 persons (or occasions). However, does it mean than nobody likes him/her? The total membership on this forums is 13,330 at this moment. If a person is liked by 13280 persons then it is a whopping 99.6% which makes him/her a very reputable or popular or well liked person. However, all it takes is 50 persons to hate him/her enough to zap him, then that's it. He/she becomes the most hated person with a lowest rep points of -50. As someone's signature once said someone said, "All it takes for evil to triump is for good people to do nothing". This logic can be loosely applied to this case. And especailly when one have a limited vote of 2 per day, most people wouldn't want to use it unless they really have to. However, I'm not saying that people who are of below average rep points are good people. They could be bad. In fact they could be either.

I'm just sharing my opinion because I find this reputation system very interesting. It appears to work, and it works in ways that are not directly obvious. Hope we can have a discussion about its effects (on human behavior) in a logical and rational manner now that time has passed a little for us to see the repercussions of this new implementation. Also hopefully I have not confused anybody because I'm also a little confused myself :o :)
the number of 13000 , is yes, the number of registered members but in reality, the number of members actively engaged surfing AF is about 400 daily. I think practically, we shd look more at active members.

practically it is very difficult for a person to achieve -50, unless he's really disliked by the majority and he has no frens at all. He needs 60 people to zap him and no one to add him. Not tat it is impossible, but its highly unlikely.

U mentioned most people wouldn't want to use it unless they have to, since the vote is limited to 1 daily. If this is the case when it comes to adding, its also the case when it comes to zapping. And its intentionally configured such so tat any giving of reputations is done selectively. If it is required, I can even tweaked it to 1 vote daily or give reputation power to people with a longer registration date and minimum posts to reduce of the number of eligible members giving out rep points.

jwhtan 02-03-2005 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artifect2002
I have a suggestion, why not make it like the yahoo auction, where you can rate people also. To pinalise people, you have to write some details as least even if you get penalised, people reading the reasons can judge. If not, it is not fair for those falsely accused to remain unknown.

there is actually a hack, called a traders ratings but because of our own reasons that we dun want AF to be cast in the light of a buy/sell platform, we decided not to proceed with that. With all due respect, I really dun see wat giving reasons can do ... we've all seen remarks like " not a true arokeeper " when someone sells his aro and then for the next few days , u'll see the person who got zapped with those remarks harping on that in whichever thread he goes to

jwhtan 02-03-2005 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artifect2002
So you mean those happily zapping with ill intension will get away easily.... or will you be the netpoliceman?Yup that's right, coments must go together, dont the rep ? (imo... no offence)

i've already put it in my earlier post in this same thread .. i'll appreciate u dun jump into conclusions and put words to be attributed to me ... thanks

jwhtan 02-03-2005 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahl
John, there might be a case for knowing reasons if we are unsure why we are zapped. You can only modify behaviour if you know what behaviour is disapproved of. E.g. being zapped if you post something constructive as been mentioned. At least if we know the reason, and they are stupid or trivial, we can ignore the zap. But it could be for a good reason we are not aware of at the time of zapping.

actually we can see our user cp and see which post it has been zapped (usually those who add will give reason or name) ... u can almost certainly know the reason urself, but most times we'll choose not to see it ... and of cos post to ask and justify ourselves ... as for those tat u cannot see the reason, like wat u say, dismiss them as stupid or trivial ... if u see a systematic way of zapping urself, (like in ur case), eight zaps all within one minute of each other, u know i'll look into it ... although i dun reveal any names to you, i believe u know action has been taken

there's another case of a member being zapped badly ... and tat's because he posted for sales the same items in all the different forums ... as usual he choose not to see wat he has done and pm me .. but his reps were all zapped by different people, most dun give a reason but to me, its obvious its because of spamming

lucasrock 03-03-2005 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwhtan
actually we can see our user cp and see which post it has been zapped (usually those who add will give reason or name) ... u can almost certainly know the reason urself, but most times we'll choose not to see it ... and of cos post to ask and justify ourselves ... as for those tat u cannot see the reason, like wat u say, dismiss them as stupid or trivial ... if u see a systematic way of zapping urself, (like in ur case), eight zaps all within one minute of each other, u know i'll look into it ... although i dun reveal any names to you, i believe u know action has been taken

there's another case of a member being zapped badly ... and tat's because he posted for sales the same items in all the different forums ... as usual he choose not to see wat he has done and pm me .. but his reps were all zapped by different people, most dun give a reason but to me, its obvious its because of spamming

Jwhtan...I see your logic behind this. But if you dont want to put in the zappers name...another upgrade would be to enforce 'comments'...make it a mandatory field. So, if zapper got nothing to say....No zap. If you want to zap someone...then be man (woman) enough to say something....whatever it is.!!! This is about taking accountability for your actions.....

jwhtan 03-03-2005 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucasrock
Jwhtan...I see your logic behind this. But if you dont want to put in the zappers name...another upgrade would be to enforce 'comments'...make it a mandatory field. So, if zapper got nothing to say....No zap. If you want to zap someone...then be man (woman) enough to say something....whatever it is.!!! This is about taking accountability for your actions.....

pls read the post u quoted ... thanks

yijing55 03-03-2005 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucasrock

Even if comments are made compulsory....
You may at the end of the day see comments like aaaaaaa, bbbbb, cccccc...
I dun think its at all necessary for the admin to make comments compulsory...
Its up to the members to use the system as it was meant for.....
Most importantly, the rep system is just an additional feature/ tool in the forum, ultimately its the sharing and learning thats important to me....
Just my views.... :D

artifect2002 03-03-2005 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yijing55
Even if comments are made compulsory....
You may at the end of the day see comments like aaaaaaa, bbbbb, cccccc...
I dun think its at all necessary for the admin to make comments compulsory...
Its up to the members to use the system as it was meant for.....
Most importantly, the rep system is just an additional feature/ tool in the forum, ultimately its the sharing and learning thats important to me....
Just my views.... :D

if they put aaa bbb ccc and still allow to zap people then there is some serious problem. Since we are being tagged to this REP points, it is only fair to allow people to see why this person is being hate/love by the community so nobody will be labelled as "S hole" without cause.

SnooPy 07-03-2005 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwhtan
pls read the post u quoted ... thanks

Bro ,, I think hor,,,
why not everything as usual,, but the total number of person who zap either plus or minus in the same topic, can only entiltle to one plus or minus max..

Is lika casting a vote end of a day.. Only admin or moderator can make the final tick on the rep pts ..
So that those who against somebody cannot do things at their own way,, everyday free zap zap zap people liao..

YOu can simply get many zap [ minus ] juz by offending a person.. Maybe even of no valid reasons.

For ya consideration hor. Juz a thought of mine.

jwhtan 09-03-2005 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by castrol
can someone tell me how to delete away those things which ppl upzz or zap in the user cp?? :o :o thank you. :D

u can't do that ... deleting them away will then disable ur rep altogether ..

Honeystar 10-03-2005 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnooPy
Bro ,, I think hor,,,
why not everything as usual,, but the total number of person who zap either plus or minus in the same topic, can only entiltle to one plus or minus max..

Is lika casting a vote end of a day.. Only admin or moderator can make the final tick on the rep pts ..
So that those who against somebody cannot do things at their own way,, everyday free zap zap zap people liao..

YOu can simply get many zap [ minus ] juz by offending a person.. Maybe even of no valid reasons.

For ya consideration hor. Juz a thought of mine.

bro, like that then admin/mod will be bery bo eng if they are to make the final tick on the rep pts...this sys can only work if only everyone cooperate...and this sys works very well against trouble makers as its easier to lose pts than earning it...ppl start to think b4 they reply...if tio backstab for reply which u think is good, then is purely ur luck no good...just dont take ur rep pt too seriously...i am sure if u happened to hit -50 pts, the mod/admin will review ur case...

jwhtan 05-04-2005 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit
currently it was shown that i have a rep power of 2.

i noticed that when i deduct someone's point. i only zap him by 1 point as opposed to my rep power of 2.

however when i up someone's rep. it goes up by 2.

i made this post after observing by refreshing immediately after i added/deducted for sometime now and thus this post.

bug or did i misread the system somewhere?

thanks

Other than Admin, ur zap power will be at half of ur add power ... let's say ur rep power is 4, ur zap power will be 2 only ... this is a intended bias so that it'll be more difficult to zap a member to minus .... the main intention is always to encourage rather than to penalise

jwhtan 07-04-2005 03:10 PM

I've tweaked the system to one click per 24 hour period and 200 rep points to increase one rep altering power. The first post has been updated accordingly.

jwhtan 07-04-2005 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by figo
:confused:

my dear mod,
why is this needed, if you allow ppl to zap u without any reason, and up you without any reason....Is this what the rep system work right now ???

and why is it need to implement this new rule if this system dont really work as far as I concern...

why not just keep to the original concept, up and zap from all the member as and when they like, and not giving comment or name, if the mod think that the rep system work in this forum???
figo :confused:

i dunno how u linked the two different things together ... what is wrong to implement this new rule ? it allows us to have a tighter control over the number of points that can be added or zapped daily since it now appears to me there are a lot of people with spare points available w/o knowing what to do with them ... anyway whether there is this new rule or dun hv this new rule, u also dun think the system works, so wat's your fuss about ?

But for us, we know it works and that's good enough for us. What you feel, as far as yourself is concerned, we'll just leave it to yourself with all due respect

jwhtan 08-04-2005 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiokmc
same la same la .... 1 zap/up 2 zap/up...same same la .....

well, unLeSs u hate/liKe someone veri veri veri muCh :) even then, u gotta spread to 50 others before getting back to that person again ..... that would b like 50days later... haha

used to be 25 days ... now 50 days and now less "spare" points that one does not know wat to do with

jwhtan 08-04-2005 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liquidnoise
can i post a view.
this rep helps to think b4 we post lah. so in order not to zap too much post things ppl wanna hear. its a world we live in. Its all not for real its a vitual world these forum seriously. I think this rep issue will go on forever debating shd or shd not. I was against it but in the end i embrace it. hehehe very shiok to c rep keep going up. when kena zap quick quick pei zui. hehehe
Its not real to reflect ur true character this rep thing. so take it as a game to get rep up loh. there are always cheat code u in get my drift.

John I must say I am impressed with your command of english. I saw u once and I can never in my wildest dream pic ur words with your look. hahahahaha. Seriously very power command of language. In future when I do my thesis for my masters degree can i get u to vet thru for me? hehehe

Some of the mods and the admin just had a meeting on Wednesday, including Alvin Koh ... we're of the opinion that the system works ... for the very fact that members are bothered about being zapped and cheers to getting added is by itself signs that this works, all the moanings and the whinings are also signs that it works, although they are irritating. You're right it does not reflect your true character. This reflects however your online persona, how you get along with others and how others relate to you.

I know I look errrr, not very much like what I typed, too Beng and not the kind of goody two shoes one would associate with my online persona. Well, just one of those things.

jwhtan 08-04-2005 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungle
I have one question, when u up or zap someone, does it mean the clock start then and u have to wait 24 hours from the moment u did the upping/zapping? I believe now we can only zap or up ppl once a day so I need to know when the timing is up again.

24 hour from your last zap or add ...

jwhtan 26-04-2005 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aroboy II
Bro jwhtan, I suggest under user CP can we have a list of all the ppl upzzz for us? compared now limited to 5pps record. Thanks.

the reason is we do not want to keep a huge data base for these points ... our two servers are nearing capacity and having more of these just slows it down ..

jwhtan 27-04-2005 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungle
in that case may i suggest you clamp down hard on those who never bother to search the thread before asking the same question over and over again?

I wish to but it's really tedious to do many things at the same time ... let this whole rep issue settle down and the community knows exactly wat this is for before we do something else ... u've seen the backlash we get and we really need a breather before going on to educate our members to do something else ..

There are a couple of things we need to do .... we need to convince Vil to come back, we need to find a replacement for Shirley at Guppy Talk ... we need to collate the orders for the Planted Forums T-shirts ... and Alvin is preparing for his big day ... there are many things to do, but very little hands

jwhtan 27-04-2005 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahl
I agree about taking things in stride. Too many rules spoil the broth.

Actually if there is a further change I would make, it is when replying, do not quote the whole text, especially the images code, since that would make the thread excessively long.

this is another aspect that takes up server space ... but it's more towards educating the members to do so ...we can always implement this same method like u quote whole posts, ur reps get deducted but that again will create another set of backlash ... actually deep inside, these rep points are worthless, nothing for one to fret about

jwhtan 03-05-2005 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aroboy II
I agree with you that these Quote: rep points are worthless, nothing for one to fret about Unquote.

But why some bro got rep power of 2 but reputation also 2 while other popular bro have more reputation points but the rep power still at 1? Any reason? Please advise. Thanks.

pls read the first post on the mechanics ... pls do not ask repeated same questions that has been answered ... rep points and rep power are two different mechanics

Jack 06-05-2005 10:21 PM

Hi, Mods. I've posted this suggestion in another but it doesnt seem to get much attention from the Mods, so i decide to paste it here. Wat do you think of the suggestion? Is it feasible?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack
How abt making the personal detailed rep point page where we can see all the individual ups and zaps of our rep points in our user cp public?

The identity of the member who changes another's rep points can still remain anonymous to protect the integrity of the rep point system but at least, in this way the public will have a more justified view of the rep points a member have. ie, the public can see for themselves the real reasons and value behind a member's rep points rather then just a nominal value.

For example, a member's rep points may have been zapped or upped for no apparent reasons. By making the personal detailed rep point page public, all the members can read further behind the rep pts. In this way, the intergrity, purposes and benefits of rep point system can be further enhanced.