Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   New P14 pup and ray tank flow rate? (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538786)

Squid 29-08-2017 12:14 AM

New P14 pup and ray tank flow rate?

Just bought my self a 7 inch female P14 pup.
need tips, she is currently in a 12o Gal tank with my 10 inch Bd trio.
I've read they are more sensitive than Bds?
any tips? I've fed her some freshwater fish yesterday, she ate some fish.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Today I've fed her squid, freshwater fish and some mp, i noticed she likes to clim the sides of the tank , should i be worried?
also her sting has a airhose on it, should i remove it? or leave it as is?

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Also do rays need strong pump?
currently my rays are in a 120 gal with 75 gal sump. the return pump is a Rio 1100. I've ordered a new 4000L/Hr pump.
Should i replace the old pump and use the stronger one?

Aro77 29-08-2017 01:02 AM

doing chin ups is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. as for sensitivity, just maintain your water parameters as with all rays , they will be fine. 4 rays in a 120 gal is little too much on the long run. do frequent water checks to see signs if bioload is too high. Eating is always a good sign but does not mean that there is nothing wrong so always keep a look out.

Squid 29-08-2017 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aro77 (Post 9999046)
doing chin ups is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. as for sensitivity, just maintain your water parameters as with all rays , they will be fine. 4 rays in a 120 gal is little too much on the long run. do frequent water checks to see signs if bioload is too high. Eating is always a good sign but does not mean that there is nothing wrong so always keep a look out.

thanks bro :) yup, I think i should move some rays to a bigger tank.
by the way will rays do well by themselves?
I'm thinking if i should move the bds to my bigger tank already and just keep the P14 solo in the 120 Gal for growout.

Aro77 29-08-2017 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squid (Post 9999062)
thanks bro :) yup, I think i should move some rays to a bigger tank.
by the way will rays do well by themselves?
I'm thinking if i should move the bds to my bigger tank already and just keep the P14 solo in the 120 Gal for growout.

That is a good question, in my experience an adult, strong and healthy ray has no problem doing well SOLO. however in younger fishes i noticed they tend to get lonely and sometimes need friends to compete with for food, However not the case with every ray also. So maybe just leave 1 other piece in there with your P14. i see that rays are social creatures and like to interact with each other.

Squid 29-08-2017 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aro77 (Post 9999112)
That is a good question, in my experience an adult, strong and healthy ray has no problem doing well SOLO. however in younger fishes i noticed they tend to get lonely and sometimes need friends to compete with for food, However not the case with every ray also. So maybe just leave 1 other piece in there with your P14. i see that rays are social creatures and like to interact with each other.

Thanks bro :) will leave 1 piece with her, or maybe wait for them to grow out of the tank :) also hoping to be able to get her to take
Massivore too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azon 07-09-2017 04:40 PM

Leave the air hose as it is.. it will be gone after shedding it sting..

Changing to a stronger pump is strongly recommended.. :)

Squid 07-09-2017 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azon (Post 9999604)
Leave the air hose as it is.. it will be gone after shedding it sting..

Changing to a stronger pump is strongly recommended.. :)

shalabin 17-09-2017 08:50 PM

Hi bro,

nice rays! I do think that rays are sort of community fishes and likes to be in groups but there are some that will just simply nibble on others. I tried seperating my rays and often the one seperated will have a steep drop in appetite.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers and regards

Squid 18-09-2017 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shalabin (Post 10000445)
Hi bro,

nice rays! I do think that rays are sort of community fishes and likes to be in groups but there are some that will just simply nibble on others. I tried seperating my rays and often the one seperated will have a steep drop in appetite.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers and regards

thanks bro :) So its better if they have competition for food :D

Squid 11-11-2017 09:22 PM

She's taking Massivore now :)
YouTube Video

YouTube Video

noticed she seems to be growing slower than my Bds?
are p14s slow growers?