Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cichlid Experiences (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   care for two months old discus fries (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407283)

morriselma 18-01-2010 11:11 AM

care for two months old discus fries

hi everyone. first batch had no survivors aftetr a month:(

my second batch coming to two months already, less than 30 fries. currently kept in 3ft tank with female. male removed and returned to comm tank, hoping to pair with another female :) the fries r currently fed with chopped bw. last time i fed bh, the big ones died the next day.. any tips to feeding? at two months, how big should they roughly be?

thanks!

lancerevo 18-01-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morriselma (Post 7496762)

my second batch coming to two months already, less than 30 fries. currently kept in 3ft tank with female. male removed and returned to comm tank, hoping to pair with another female :) the fries r currently fed with chopped bw. last time i fed bh, the big ones died the next day.. any tips to feeding? at two months, how big should they roughly be?

thanks!

Bro.

Can feed BH, but grind finely...and not too much feeding..small amout at a time...u can see the stomach bulge a little..time to stop.

also feed bh need to change water daily...a lot of work.:)

tuang 18-01-2010 11:57 AM

2 mths about 1-1.5in. u can feed baby brine shrimp or decapsulated brine shrimp eggs instead of bh. frequent wc oso required.

i had observed a pair where they will chew and spit out the bh into finer bits. dunno if it is caring for the fries or just playing with the bh. but the fries did accept the spit bh readily. anyone encountered this before?

AngryMan 18-01-2010 12:00 PM

Discus

Hi brother, happy to hear that your fries already 2 mths. Do update us again on its development.

jasonchua1982 18-01-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morriselma (Post 7496762)

thanks!

Hey Bro,

Congrats on your success....me thinks that its good to feed small amount and more regularly....but also pay attention to water quality....for my frys, my feeding regime are as follow:

Weekday:
7am: Tetrabits
6pm: Tetrabits
830pm: Frozen BW / PH (nearer to WC date)
1030pm: Decap BSE

Weekend:
10am: Tetrabits
12pm: PH
4pm: FBW
7pm: Tetrabits
10 pm: Decap BSE

WC is about 30-40%, once or twice a week.....so far no casualty yet :)

Btw, think 2 mths should be around 1" size liao :)

Happy raising your Juvs, cheers :D

toonz 18-01-2010 05:12 PM

WC is very important for juv growth. usually my batch of 30 fries will grow faster than bigger group. think they no need to fight for food...:)

usually i feed twice a day, and try to Wc every 2 days if possible.:D
at 2 months, they should be able to eat small amount of PH/BH. :D

oscar77 18-01-2010 06:38 PM

chopped BH not fine enough for fries and they might die due to indigestion. 2 ways in preparing BH, by grinder or blender. Most commercial BH supplier use grinder. Heavy duty and for mass production. Some supplier they do double grinding, but some only grind once.

Double grinding the BH is finer but cloud the water more compare to single grinding. Of course, some of them have their own secret recipe to overcome clouding water issue. Finer BH better to your discus digestion. Better digestion less internal problem, ie internal parasite, bloated.. etc

Another method is using blender. this method produce the finest BH. But cloud the water the most. But is the best for your fish to digest. Mostly by those hobbyist prepare their own meal for discus.

Once starting feeding heart meal, you have to WC daily. The water is clean in naked eyes, but not clean for those fishes stay INSIDE the water.

condor 18-01-2010 11:20 PM

if u know the supplier very well
ask him to grinder 3-4 times
may have to pay a bit more though
:D

jess2006 19-01-2010 12:57 AM

they probably died from overdistended stomach due to digestion problem.
if u feed bh, they must be very fine.
most fries don't die when 2 months old, but common cause is probably digestion problem.
u may consider chopped bw if u want but pellets or flakes may also be better as they are more suitable for fries compared to big pieces of bh.
good luck.
:)

limct 19-01-2010 01:49 AM

Inorder for fries to grow healthy and fast. Daily water change is required and need at least to feed 5 time a day. For 2 month fries, it should be able to reach 2 inch in body size if you follow this routine.