Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   advices for ray for "newbie" (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538398)

thanantosis 18-04-2017 07:40 PM

advices for ray for "newbie"

hi al bros!

been away for more then 7 years.
used to be here often when a RTG is cost 400 plus and a ST cost 25 sg :)

used to kept a few motoro and some hybr those days with my arowana, st, ff, endi etc

i wanted to get back into this hobby once again and needed some advices :)

im moving to a new place soon. and have a small pond. about 3ftx16ft.

but only 30cm water depth. filter will be external filled with 5kg biohome.

whats your advice on this for rays? number of them? or is this tank even suitable?

ps: shock to see its so quiet in arofanatics... used to be a busy place

thanks alot bro!

Aro77 19-04-2017 05:55 PM

Hi , firstly ,welcome back to the hobby , for rays , they have a very high bioload. highly doubt a small filter along with 5kg of biohome plus should be able to do the job. Pond size seems good but height is very very less. since you have not got any fishes in there , i would suggest to build up on your pond before putting anything. maybe move the water level up to at least 2ft , this way would be more comfortable for the rays as 11 inches is really shallow and they might not be comfortable in an environment of such. Basically for rays a very important factor is having good water parameters above all. hope this helps. Take Care.

Aro77 19-04-2017 06:00 PM

btw forgot to add , another important factor is proper flow rate and circulation for a long pond as yours

thanantosis 19-04-2017 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aro77 (Post 9988299)
Hi , firstly ,welcome back to the hobby , for rays , they have a very high bioload. highly doubt a small filter along with 5kg of biohome plus should be able to do the job. Pond size seems good but height is very very less. since you have not got any fishes in there , i would suggest to build up on your pond before putting anything. maybe move the water level up to at least 2ft , this way would be more comfortable for the rays as 11 inches is really shallow and they might not be comfortable in an environment of such. Basically for rays a very important factor is having good water parameters above all. hope this helps. Take Care.

Thanks alot for the long reply bro. Thanks for making the effort. I cant do much for the height as this pond is at the attic. Due to weight issue. I can only hit 30 cm. Thanks for the advice for filter. Yep will increase that a few times .And yes already thought of water flow. Will turn over the water a few cycle in 1 hour! Thats a must for sure. Agreed that height is a great concern. Hai

shin chan 19-04-2017 11:47 PM

Start with motoro bro. Cheapest. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

thanantosis 20-04-2017 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shin chan (Post 9988342)
Start with motoro bro. Cheapest. Lol.

hahah maybe man, start with 2 first see how haha. adpost selling 2 for 50. i shock!

shin chan 20-04-2017 12:58 AM

Ya. I'm tempted too but no space....

thanantosis 20-04-2017 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shin chan (Post 9988353)
Ya. I'm tempted too but no space....

motoro big liao not nice leh ahhahahah very dark.

sen_jie 24-04-2017 01:01 PM

3ft by 16inch doesnt seems to be a right place to keep rays. These fishes grow really fast from 5inch to 10 inch in a couple of months.

Aro77 24-04-2017 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sen_jie (Post 9988777)
3ft by 16inch doesnt seems to be a right place to keep rays. These fishes grow really fast from 5inch to 10 inch in a couple of months.

hey bro , long time man..

think TS pond is 16ft by 3ft by 1ft ( LXBXH )