Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Keeping 1 Stingray (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539037)

blackghost 03-01-2018 12:05 AM

Keeping 1 Stingray

hi bros,

ive sort of an empty tank with 1 aro and 3 tfb.

ive always wanted a stingray but i kept hearing it is difficult to keep.

i was just looking around and chance upon a piece at OTF

decided to bag him home.. but at this point of time, im only interested to get 1 ray..

ive read that rays are social creatures and may need company of other rays.. so im not really sure if i should get a 2nd one. any thoughts?

CBTG 03-01-2018 10:02 AM

Depend big is yrs tank? There should be some room for them to grow too. I do have some BDsp pups to let go too. Pm if u interested.

denser 03-01-2018 07:05 PM

start with cheaper ray like motoro or sp ray

blackghost 04-01-2018 05:47 PM

currently at 4ft.. i bought an SP ray from OTF

even though ive been keeping fishes for 10 years+ now but im still not confident to keep rays..

plus.. at 4ft.. i may or may not upgrade my tank..

so at this moment just keeping 1 .. with no plans to get more

but at the same time, i wonder if have to keep more then 1 as i heard/read that these ray need social interaction with other rays.

appreciate your kind advise.

CBTG 04-01-2018 06:00 PM

Keeping one ray is ok la. I do saw some bro keep one type of fish and com them together in a tank. Quite nice too.

blackghost 04-01-2018 09:41 PM

thank you for your advice bro..

now im trying to learn stingray behavior.. trying to see if it ate or not haha..

the ray is always near food.. but im not sure if he actually ate

tomorrow going to try to get some ghost shrimp just to make sure...being the first week in the tank and all

Shawnsp 03-05-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackghost (Post 10006418)
thank you for your advice bro..

now im trying to learn stingray behavior.. trying to see if it ate or not haha..

the ray is always near food.. but im not sure if he actually ate

tomorrow going to try to get some ghost shrimp just to make sure...being the first week in the tank and all

If it eat you will see. Cup on the food and eat and bite hard. If you didn’t see it eating or just beside the food chances is it didn’t eat.

It will not eat or eat weather it has a mate or alone. Check your water perimeter and do not dose salt! Small amount is ok but if you are not sure I suggest you not to dose. Use other things to replace salt.

Cheers

sen_jie 25-05-2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackghost (Post 10006408)
currently at 4ft.. i bought an SP ray from OTF

even though ive been keeping fishes for 10 years+ now but im still not confident to keep rays..

plus.. at 4ft.. i may or may not upgrade my tank..

so at this moment just keeping 1 .. with no plans to get more

but at the same time, i wonder if have to keep more then 1 as i heard/read that these ray need social interaction with other rays.

appreciate your kind advise.

for rays there are 2 things u need to watch out

1) stable PH

2) zero ammonia

Yes you can keep a ray in a tank. but of coz if you keep 2 they can get pretty rowdy and also increase your bioload alot. Make sure you do your discipline water change regularly, feed the rays sufficent, and lastly make sure you choose a healthy ray.

Cheers

denser 01-06-2018 12:06 PM

what is good PH for rays?

Ralliart_Ray 02-06-2018 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denser (Post 10012616)
what is good PH for rays?

6.5 - 7.4 ?:p:p:p