Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   AroReefers (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Thinking of starting a marine tank (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372523)

amiidae 10-05-2009 07:50 PM

Thinking of starting a marine tank

Hi guys,

My current set up is a typical freshwater 4 by 2 by 2 tank with overhead filter. (there is no way for me to add a sump)

May I know if my current set up is good enough or what other additional equipment (must have) that I need to add if I plan to keep just marine fish.

Thanks

ben

xersion 10-05-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amiidae (Post 6868682)
Hi guys,

My current set up is a typical freshwater 4 by 2 by 2 tank with overhead filter. (there is no way for me to add a sump)

May I know if my current set up is good enough or what other additional equipment (must have) that I need to add if I plan to keep just marine fish.

Thanks

ben

i dun support overhead filter.. u can still have a sump just use an overflow piping connect to sump. if not have to use canister.

u will need a protien skimmer, hydrometer, chiller(optional but recommend).

That should be more or less completed...
welcome to the posion of another expensive hobbie.

amiidae 10-05-2009 08:34 PM

Thanks for the input.

Ehiem 2028 can be used for marine ? if not then what will be a good brand ?

also, is there a protein skimmer that I may insert into the tank - something like a internal filter ? btw, is protein skiimmer a must if I plan to keep solo fish.

thanks

xersion 10-05-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amiidae (Post 6868800)
Thanks for the input.

Ehiem 2028 can be used for marine ? if not then what will be a good brand ?

also, is there a protein skimmer that I may insert into the tank - something like a internal filter ? btw, is protein skiimmer a must if I plan to keep solo fish.

thanks

u need to count how many turnover of vol u like to have... for protein skimmer yes there is such product in the market that use air pump.. however by placing that bulky skimmer inside the tank sure look very ugly.. solo fish not needed just do regular water change will do..

TRUST me u will not stop at one fish :cool:

bugattilambo 10-05-2009 11:12 PM

hmm 2028 sure not big enough for 4 ft I am using for 2 ft man
best to get those 2228 or stuff to handle it
and also not marine keepers will keep a solo fish cause its not a fighting fish hehe
a protein skimmer is very important many swear by it cause if not you have to do water changes few days once righty??

Aro Marc 10-05-2009 11:32 PM

Hi Bro,
B4 setup, need to understand what u want to keep, coral or fish or both, need to invest a chiller if keeping coral and need to spend time to check water parameter weekly, cannot be lazy or all your coral will say bb to u.
Good luck

LuRving 11-05-2009 02:00 AM

the are hang on skimmers in the market, not sure which model fits u though

dnsfpl 11-05-2009 10:27 AM

what is the thickness of your tank?

you can either use a canister or and get an external overflow to sump
OHF creates a lot of bubbles

a good protein skimmer is necessary if you want to keep maintenance minimum
wave maker is require if you want to create more flow and reduce dead spot

if you plan to keep corals, chiller and FR is highly recommended

HTH

happy reefing :)

davidw 11-05-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amiidae (Post 6868682)
Hi guys,

Thanks

ben

1. IMO u can use yur existing overhead filter.
2. Sand bed and Live Rocks inside tank can also act as filter media.
3. Since u only keep fish and u mention solo fish (or even 2 or 3), u can stil make do without protein skimmer. Skimmer merely acts to reduce your bioload thereby lessening the burden of yur filter. U can add subsequently if necessarily (hang on type at side of tank). [I have a 5 footer with 22 big to medium size fishes and I stopped using skimmer since I added ozone/orp controller].
4. Other equipments recommended: at least 2 wavemakers (if not more) for 4 footer tank. Other basic stuff not mentioned as I'm sure u are able to figure out e.g. salt, hydrometer (to check correct salinity)..... happy reefing

ps: preferable if your tank glass thickness is at least 12mm.

SunnyDay 11-05-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidw (Post 6870056)
1. IMO u can use yur existing overhead filter.
2. Sand bed and Live Rocks inside tank can also act as filter media.
3. Since u only keep fish and u mention solo fish (or even 2 or 3), u can stil make do without protein skimmer. Skimmer merely acts to reduce your bioload thereby lessening the burden of yur filter. U can add subsequently if necessarily (hang on type at side of tank). [I have a 5 footer with 22 big to medium size fishes and I stopped using skimmer since I added ozone/orp controller].
4. Other equipments recommended: at least 2 wavemakers (if not more) for 4 footer tank. Other basic stuff not mentioned as I'm sure u are able to figure out e.g. salt, hydrometer (to check correct salinity)..... happy reefing

ps: preferable if your tank glass thickness is at least 12mm.

Bro, I would like to know
1)when you stopped using the skimmer?
2)How often you do your WC?
3)How many percent of WC?
4)How many times you feed your fishes a day?
5)What is your NO3?

I am just curious how an Ozoniser and ORP can help to maintain a marine tank and might consider to do the same too. Thanks