Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment/DIY discussion (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Chiller thermostat problem (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204404)

aCe^bOwleRz 25-09-2005 03:10 AM

Chiller thermostat problem

Hi Guys,

I just want to confirm my assumption of facing a thermostat failure.
Following are information as to how my chiller runs:-

Aquabee 3000
Hailea 1/4HP chiller
70 Gal tank w/o sump

Chiller running time: 7 mins
Chiller cut-off time: 3 mins

The chiller will kick in when temperature registers 27.0°C and will stop when it reaches 25.8°C.
When my chiller has reached 25.8°C, within a few seconds, the thermostat will show 26.0°C and in less that 2 minutes, the temperature shown will be 26.5°C, and in another 3.5 minutes, the temperature will show 26.9°C before running for another 1.5 minutes.

What's weird is that the thermostat only shows these 3 temperatures during cut-off: 26.0°C, 26.5°C and 26.9°C
I guess that my thermostat is defective. How much would it cost to replace the thermostat?

I am thinking of changing the fan as well and get the chiller fully serviced. What will be the overall cost?
Will it be cost-effective to buy a new chiller?

*If you have someone to recommend me to service my chiller + changing on thermostat, do PM me with contacts.
*If you have lobang for chiller (Artica & Daeil prefered :p), do PM me too with contacts. Will consider 2nd hand set.

Thanks alot for all advices :D

bonjour2 25-09-2005 03:36 AM

Most probably yr sensor thermostat problem cos I have the exact unit as you and the temperature flutuates up and down, now settled with an External Thermostat instead. Go change your thermostat and fan if necessary. ;)

monsterz1975 25-09-2005 05:03 AM

U can try to look for Nelson from Harlequin , he very good in chiller.;)

aCe^bOwleRz 25-09-2005 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjour2
Most probably yr sensor thermostat problem cos I have the exact unit as you and the temperature flutuates up and down, now settled with an External Thermostat instead. Go change your thermostat and fan if necessary. ;)

How much did it cost you?
Are you facing any more problems after settling for an External Thermostat?

Mind if you share with me whom did you contact to get the External thermostat fixed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsterz1975
U can try to look for Nelson from Harlequin , he very good in chiller.;)

Thanks Alvin, so Nelson does repair/maintainace or sells new chiller? :p
Do you have his number?

monsterz1975 25-09-2005 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aCe^bOwleRz

Mind if you share with me whom did you contact to get the External thermostat fixed.

Do you have his number?

He does repair , service for chiller.;)

sherman 25-09-2005 10:05 AM

Bro,
If you know about electrical,you can get the external thermostat from Sim Lim and wire up yourself.Otherwise Bro monster recomend you someone he has deal before.
So should be no problem.
Either way,an external thermostat measure your tank temperature on line whilst the internal thermostat measure the water pump into the chiller reservoir by your pump.
Because of this the internal thermostat cut in and out very often.

Regards

Little_Fish 25-09-2005 12:37 PM

But not all chillers require an external thermostat rite? I mean take for example, Arctica and Daeil chillers. They dont require the external thermostat. So far only my resun CL650 I had a external thermostat installed.(bought it as a set with the chiller)
So just wanna know, how do we judge if a chiller requires an external thermostat? Frequent kick in?
Cheers.

monsterz1975 25-09-2005 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little_Fish
But not all chillers require an external thermostat rite? I mean take for example, Arctica and Daeil chillers. They dont require the external thermostat. So far only my resun CL650 I had a external thermostat installed.(bought it as a set with the chiller)
So just wanna know, how do we judge if a chiller requires an external thermostat? Frequent kick in?
Cheers.

If u can run an external temp control ur chiller will works better.;)

bonjour2 25-09-2005 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsterz1975
If u can run an external temp control ur chiller will works better.;)

absolutely correct in a sense that the placement of the probe that is integreted in the chiller will depend on the flow of the pump to detect the correct temperature of the tank etc, with external thermostat, u drop the external probe right into your main tank, no descrepancies expected. ;)

bonjour2 25-09-2005 02:39 PM

re: Chiller thermostat

I am no longer facing the problem of fequent cut ins, in fact, my chiller stops for almost 40 mins when temp register 25 degree, to reach 27 deg and then it kicks in again.
Got a reefer ( identity protected as requested) to do up mine. Maybe u can try contacting Derek over at SRC ( Coral Labs) who services chiller or like wat monster suggest, Nelson at Harlequin.

Do you have his number?