Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment/DIY discussion (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   What kind of lights should i get??? (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79142)

honkozai 29-07-2003 02:34 PM

What kind of lights should i get???

Hi to all...
May i know what kind of light should i get for a 2ft???
How many watts???
I would like some corals and clownfish only...

Thanks...

marine69 29-07-2003 03:32 PM

It depend the coral u r keeping.

Some corals need more power light source like MH.:cool:

Earthborne 29-07-2003 03:59 PM

For a 2ft tank, no matter what corals u are keeping...I think u will never need a MH light provided that u put enough VHO or PL lights and yr thank no deeper than 2 ft.

With a small tank, yr main worry is shd be temperature before lighting.

But unless u use halogen or MH, u cannot get that aesthetic rippling effect in yr tank.

honkozai 29-07-2003 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthborne
For a 2ft tank, no matter what corals u are keeping...I think u will never need a MH light provided that u put enough VHO or PL lights and yr thank no deeper than 2 ft.

With a small tank, yr main worry is shd be temperature before lighting.

But unless u use halogen or MH, u cannot get that aesthetic rippling effect in yr tank.

What is MH ah???
My lfs says to get a 15watt light...
With blue and white light...
Can???

Joop 29-07-2003 08:38 PM

Bro..i have use it before..Let me tell you, before i switch on the light...My tank temp is 28.0, but after i switch it on for 1 hour, the temp in my tank is 30.0 :eek: :eek:

So i am not really sure whether it is adviceble to use it or not??

Any bROS here wanna share their view on this issue??

Cheer & Thks!!! :D

meowvin 29-07-2003 08:49 PM

Hi bro honkozai,

You may get the 10K 36Watt PL from natural aquarium. I think he sell the cheapest.
If your temp above 28c it very hard for coral to survive. You may need to install a cooling fan to bring the temp to -1 to 2c but then using fan you need to top up the water more often.

For me i using blue light and white light as following timer

White light on 3pm to 11:59pm ( So I can see my coral fully open when I back at work about 7pm)

Blue light on 12am till 2am & 1pm till 2:59pm ( to simulate the moon light effect)

Many people have diferent practices. Just a suggest to you.

Melvin

Quote:

Originally posted by honkozai
What is MH ah???
My lfs says to get a 15watt light...
With blue and white light...
Can???

honkozai 29-07-2003 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Joop
Bro..i have use it before..Let me tell you, before i switch on the light...My tank temp is 28.0, but after i switch it on for 1 hour, the temp in my tank is 30.0 :eek: :eek:

So i am not really sure whether it is adviceble to use it or not??

Any bROS here wanna share their view on this issue??

Cheer & Thks!!! :D

So how's your tank Bro...
Mine is running liao...
Still cycling...
Haven't put in LR yet...
So where you got your LR???
All my stuffs are from Polyart...
Hehe...

meowvin 29-07-2003 08:54 PM

I got my all from pasir ris. 1 KG about $5-$8. but think the price shoot so high up. Polyart are good in marine fish only. there is much better much around singapore to get good marine livestock

You need any Enzyne power feel free to let me know. of coz it free.. :-)

melvin

Quote:

Mine is running liao...
Still cycling...
Haven't put in LR yet...
Hehe...

honkozai 29-07-2003 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by meowvin
I got my all from pasir ris. 1 KG about $5-$8. but think the price shoot so high up. Polyart are good in marine fish only. there is much better much around singapore to get good marine livestock

melvin

Enzyne power??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Actually i'm planning to get my equipments from polyart...
But as for fishes and corals...
I think i will go sea life cos got more...
Btw... They quote me thier LR is $18/kg...
Saying that it is cured and and very good ones...

meowvin 29-07-2003 09:15 PM

LR at $18 per kg is too exp. But even thot it snap out in second. sad case. used to get about $5/kg. too exp too exp... Come to chinatown I get only at $9/kg for my nemo tank setup but often no stock need to reserved.

Melvin

Quote:

Enzyne power??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Actually i'm planning to get my equipments from polyart...
But as for fishes and corals...
I think i will go sea life cos got more...
Btw... They quote me thier LR is $18/kg...
Saying that it is cured and and very good ones...

honkozai 29-07-2003 10:46 PM

Quote:

LR at $18 per kg is too exp. But even thot it snap out in second. sad case. used to get about $5/kg. too exp too exp... Come to chinatown I get only at $9/kg for my nemo tank setup but often no stock need to reserved.

Melvin

Icic...
Thanks...
Learn alot from you Bro...

sim faris 30-07-2003 01:39 AM

Quote:

Mine is running liao...
Still cycling...
Haven't put in LR yet...
Hehe...

cycling tank without the Lr doesn't do anything good to ur tank..at least u should put in 2-3kg of Lr for cycling.w/o the fish..n DSB.
:)

sim faris 30-07-2003 01:42 AM

Quote:

melvin

don't agreed with u totally..that PA good in fish..coz seen most of their fish like ai see ai see liow..:) :) n have seen their sc LIKE
same same :(

Joop 30-07-2003 01:45 AM

Quote:

Mine is running liao...
Still cycling...
Haven't put in LR yet...
Hehe...

Good leh Bro!!!

Mine also running loh but still waiting for my marine light leh..
Currently out of stock lah...Sianz!!!

My LR i got it from my fred, he remove it from his mature marine tank..so i guess it should be okie...

So?? so far so good???

:D

meowvin 30-07-2003 01:51 AM

Bro Sim,

I agree with you, It will be good if you can get some mature live rock intoduce to the newly setup tank.

Melvin

Quote:

Originally posted by sim faris
cycling tank without the Lr doesn't do anything good to ur tank..at least u should put in 2-3kg of Lr for cycling.w/o the fish..n DSB.
:)

honkozai 30-07-2003 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Joop
Good leh Bro!!!

Mine also running loh but still waiting for my marine light leh..
Currently out of stock lah...Sianz!!!

My LR i got it from my fred, he remove it from his mature marine tank..so i guess it should be okie...

So?? so far so good???

:D

Icic...
Good for you Bro...
Hehe...

meowvin 30-07-2003 01:57 AM

hahahaa.... maybe the fish get very stress coz the light on for 24hrs.. coz it a 24hr shop.. :-) I got most of my fish from pasir ris and downstair my house so not to stress the fish too much coz I just bring up to my house upstair.

But I think ppl should not seek any advice from them as they alway give wrong advice to customer. I was there testing water about the marine knowledge. but i am so disappointed about their answer.

Just my personal opinion..

Melvin

Quote:

don't agreed with u totally..that PA good in fish..coz seen most of their fish like ai see ai see liow..:) :) n have seen their sc LIKE
same same :(

honkozai 30-07-2003 02:20 AM

Quote:

hahahaa.... maybe the fish get very stress coz the light on for 24hrs.. coz it a 24hr shop.. :-) I got most of my fish from pasir ris and downstair my house so not to stress the fish too much coz I just bring up to my house upstair.

But I think ppl should not seek any advice from them as they alway give wrong advice to customer. I was there testing water about the marine knowledge. but i am so disappointed about their answer.

Melvin

Wow...
Shit...
I bought all my equipments from there leh...
How ah... Lucky now still starting only...
Lucky haven't get any Livestocks yet...
Tomorrow must go Sea life liao...

meowvin 30-07-2003 02:52 AM

Where is sea life? what time you going down? Maybe I can go along tomorrow if I am free.

Please advice.. or sms to my HP at 90062558.

Melvin

Quote:

Wow...
Shit...
I bought all my equipments from there leh...
How ah... Lucky now still starting only...
Lucky haven't get any Livestocks yet...
Tomorrow must go Sea life liao...

sim faris 30-07-2003 02:53 AM

Quote:

Melvin

hehehe..:D :D :( :( but 1 thing good about them they have quite alots of stuff like lights tubes,supplement,n accessories..still ok lah....
if wanna buy fish there got to buy those just arrive 1..if kept more then 24hrs 1 all looks sian sian 1..but price wise still hmmmm...i still prefer the stuff from the old shops..c328..although they don't have marine setup,but their stuff still cheaper then the polya*t by a few dollars..:)
cheeers;)

meowvin 30-07-2003 03:04 AM

Bro sim faris,

You are wrong.. now C328 got 2 marine tank liao.. marine tank setup with nemo and dory somemore. :-) PA is good coz it 24 hour. I really like it very much.. nothing to do can go there see see look look. but I still prefer c328 coz the price is really good. Got my PH pen from there at only $39. I so happy with it coz I can test out all my marine, Planted and guppies tank. very shiok.. no more test kits.

Advice not to get any live stock especially fishest that arrive on the same day coz it die very easily. It should stock them a day before selling them.

melvin

Quote:

hehehe..:D :D :( :( but 1 thing good about them they have quite alots of stuff like lights tubes,supplement,n accessories..still ok lah....
if wanna buy fish there got to buy those just arrive 1..if kept more then 24hrs 1 all looks sian sian 1..but price wise still hmmmm...i still prefer the stuff from the old shops..c328..although they don't have marine setup,but their stuff still cheaper then the polya*t by a few dollars..:)
cheeers;)

honkozai 30-07-2003 03:21 AM

Quote:

Where is sea life? what time you going down? Maybe I can go along tomorrow if I am free.

Please advice.. or sms to my HP at 90062558.

Melvin

Bro... The address i forgot liao...
Is around the balestier road there...
Cos now i got my tank, Rena canister (CR, Chemi-pure, Coral Chips), salt, sand, thermo cum hydro meter and two test kits (Ammonia and pH) from them liao... I think going to get another protein skimmer from them liao and of course one more test kit (Nitrate)... And light maybe get from Sealife or NA... Cos PA equipment quite cheap and reasonable but as you say... Their knowledge in marine still not that good... Somemore livestock there i think very ex... LR $18/kg ah...
So i think i will get my livestocks from Sealife... There got more... And also bro... I also considering whether want to remove my C3 sand to C0 sand anot... Cos got alot of Bros says not recommended cos no space for benificial bacteria ah...

meowvin 30-07-2003 03:35 AM

Bro honozai,

Get the protein skimmer from C328 coz they sell cheaper then PA. How much do sea life sell their live rock?

Remove your c3 to c0 will raise your nitrite very high and take very long to settle now. Unless you going to redo the tank also. And how about the c3 sand? throw away? very waste ah.

Don't worry about the c3 or c0 DSB as long you cycle and maintain your tank well. I am using c3 sand for my 3ft tank it already coming 3 year still doing well. you get what i mean?
You should get the nitrate test kit and the other test kit come later. that why i said that PA anyhow give advice. Rem to test the nitrade before intro any fish in.

You may cultivate the benificial bacteria in the cantister or I can pass you some dry benificial bacteria to jump start your newly setup tank. I used it to start all my customer marine tank even those with 4 ft tank.

I also strongly recommend you to use surface skimmer in your cantister. very important for marine.

Melvin

Quote:

Bro... The address i forgot liao...
Is around the balestier road there...
Cos now i got my tank, Rena canister (CR, Chemi-pure, Coral Chips), salt, sand, thermo cum hydro meter and two test kits (Ammonia and pH) from them liao... I think going to get another protein skimmer from them liao and of course one more test kit (Nitrate)... And light maybe get from Sealife or NA... Cos PA equipment quite cheap and reasonable but as you say... Their knowledge in marine still not that good... Somemore livestock there i think very ex... LR $18/kg ah...
So i think i will get my livestocks from Sealife... There got more... And also bro... I also considering whether want to remove my C3 sand to C0 sand anot... Cos got alot of Bros says not recommended cos no space for benificial bacteria ah...

sim faris 30-07-2003 03:39 AM

Quote:

Bro sim faris,

You are wrong.. now C328 got 2 marine tank liao.. marine tank setup with nemo and dory somemore. :-) PA is good coz it 24 hour. I really like it very much.. nothing to do can go there see see look look. but I still prefer c328 coz the price is really good. Got my PH pen from there at only $39. I so happy with it coz I can test out all my marine, Planted and guppies tank. very shiok.. no more test kits.

Advice not to get any live stock especially fishest that arrive on the same day coz it die very easily. It should stock them a day before selling them.

melvin

that's what i think to for fish to stock for at least 24hrsb4 buying them..but not the fish at pa..coz i suspect there some water problem with the pa tanks..everytime sees their fish after few days all slantin side way liow.thats why i recommend to gets fish from them as fast as possible b4 the fish become sick..but maybe not from them..:D :D i only see the demsel healthy only,but their tangs like going soon..maybe only demsel can survive there only..
coz their hardy.:D ;)

honkozai 30-07-2003 03:41 AM

Quote:

Bro honozai,

Get the protein skimmer from C328 coz they sell cheaper then PA. How much do sea life sell their live rock?

Remove your c3 to c0 will raise your nitrite very high and take very long to settle now. Unless you going to redo the tank also. And how about the c3 sand? throw away? very waste ah.

Don't worry about the c3 or c0 DSB as long you cycle and maintain your tank well. I am using c3 sand for my 3ft tank it already coming 3 year still doing well. you get what i mean?
You should get the nitrate test kit and the other test kit come later. that why i said that PA anyhow give advice. Rem to test the nitrade before intro any fish in.

You may cultivate the benificial bacteria in the cantister or I can pass you some dry benificial bacteria to jump start your newly setup tank. I used it to start all my customer marine tank even those with 4 ft tank.

Melvin

I think Sealife costs $10/kg...
Read from other forums...
THink i should keep the C3.. Like you say... Very wasteful...
So nitrate testkit is only used when i'm about to add fishes...
Now i still cycling with LR if tomorrow can get it... I should get my Protein skimmer... And let it run somemore right... So when do i need the two test kits i have now??? Surface skimmer in canister??? How do i do it???

meowvin 30-07-2003 03:42 AM

agree bro :-)

melvin

Quote:

that's what i think to for fish to stock for at least 24hrsb4 buying them..but not the fish at pa..coz i suspect there some water problem with the pa tanks..everytime sees their fish after few days all slantin side way liow.thats why i recommend to gets fish from them as fast as possible b4 the fish become sick..but maybe not from them..:D :D i only see the demsel healthy only,but their tangs like going soon..maybe only demsel can survive there only..
coz their hardy.:D ;)

meowvin 30-07-2003 03:47 AM

After you intro the fish and coral. test bi-weekly and note down the result for refence.

melvin

Quote:

I think Sealife costs $10/kg...
Read from other forums...
THink i should keep the C3.. Like you say... Very wasteful...
So nitrate testkit is only used when i'm about to add fishes...
Now i still cycling with LR if tomorrow can get it... I should get my Protein skimmer... And let it run somemore right... So when do i need the two test kits i have now??? Surface skimmer in canister??? How do i do it???

honkozai 30-07-2003 03:53 AM

Quote:

After you intro the fish and coral. test bi-weekly and note down the result for refence.

melvin

ICic... Thanks...
Btw... How to include a surface skimmer in my canister???

meowvin 30-07-2003 04:04 AM

Attached the input of the cantister to the surface skimmer. so it able suck those waste below and skim the water surface.

Melvin

Quote:

ICic... Thanks...
Btw... How to include a surface skimmer in my canister???

honkozai 30-07-2003 04:08 AM

Quote:

Attached the input of the cantister to the surface skimmer. so it able suck those waste below and skim the water surface.

Melvin

So Bro...
Surface and protein skimmer is two different thing???
Cos now my canister only has one inlet...
So a surface skimmer will have two???
One in the surface and one in the water???

meowvin 30-07-2003 04:15 AM

Canister for input(suck) and output(spray water). so you should attached the surface skimmer to the input(suck). look at my nemo tank for example that black color thing is a surface skimmer that attached to my hand on filter.

Your (output - spray water) rain bar will still remain as it is.

got what I mean now?

melvin

Quote:

So Bro...
Surface and protein skimmer is two different thing???
Cos now my canister only has one inlet...
So a surface skimmer will have two???
One in the surface and one in the water???

honkozai 30-07-2003 04:19 AM

Quote:

Canister for input(suck) and output(spray water). so you should attached the surface skimmer to the input(suck). look at my nemo tank for example that black color thing is a surface skimmer that attached to my hand on filter.

Your (output - spray water) rain bar will still remain as it is.

got what I mean now?

melvin

Oicic...
I've what you mean liao...
Really thank you very much for teaching me so much...
Too bad you posted your nemo tank one day too late...
If i see it in the first place...
I sure get from you cos still can learn new things from you...
Sigh... Too late liao cos i have started...

meowvin 30-07-2003 04:24 AM

No problem brother honkozai,

When I start my marine tank many year back I not as lucky so now as you can seek advice from forum over here. I have to try and error and spend a few K already before I get it right. So now you can get it right from starting from brother over here. It will cost you a bomb for sure.

It already 3:30am you not sleeping ah.. no need to wrok tomorrow? Me may go down to C328 tomorrow.. U wanna go also?

melvin

Quote:

Oicic...
I've what you mean liao...
Really thank you very much for teaching me so much...
Too bad you posted your nemo tank one day too late...
If i see it in the first place...
I sure get from you cos still can learn new things from you...
Sigh... Too late liao cos i have started...

honkozai 30-07-2003 04:26 AM

Quote:

No problem brother honkozai,

When I start my marine tank many year back I not as lucky so now as you can seek advice from forum over here. I have to try and error and spend a few K already before I get it right. So now you can get it right from starting from brother over here. It will cost you a bomb for sure.

It already 3:30am you not sleeping ah.. no need to wrok tomorrow? Me may go down to C328 tomorrow.. U wanna go also?

melvin

I may be going tomorrow too...
Cos got to go school do something ...
Hehe... Not working yet... Going BMT on 25/8...

meowvin 30-07-2003 04:28 AM

Going BMT on 25/8?? then how about your tank??
Your parent help to take care har?? :-)

Melvin
Quote:

I may be going tomorrow too...
Cos got to go school do something ...
Hehe... Not working yet... Going BMT on 25/8...

honkozai 30-07-2003 04:31 AM

Quote:

Going BMT on 25/8?? then how about your tank??
Your parent help to take care har?? :-)

Melvin

Ya lor...
So maybe the three weeks confinement...
I will still let it cycle lor...
The longer the better mah...

meowvin 30-07-2003 04:38 AM

Remember to do some mark on the water level coz so that your parent know where to top up the water due to the water evapourated when you are in BMT.

You you ask me early I will suggest you to get a IOS it will save you a lot. coz you don't need to get surface skimmer and cantister. Pic speak louder than work.. look this follow link for my 2ft tank.

http://www.arofanatics.com/members/meowvin/roomtanks/

http://www.arofanatics.com/members/m...anks2ftmarine/

melvin

Quote:

Ya lor...
So maybe the three weeks confinement...
I will still let it cycle lor...
The longer the better mah...

honkozai 30-07-2003 04:41 AM

Quote:

Remember to do some mark on the water level coz so that your parent know where to top up the water due to the water evapourated when you are in BMT.

You you ask me early I will suggest you to get a IOS it will save you a lot. coz you don't need to get surface skimmer and cantister. Pic speak louder than work.. look this follow link for my 2ft tank.

http://www.arofanatics.com/members/meowvin/roomtanks/

http://www.arofanatics.com/members/m...anks2ftmarine/

melvin

Actually... I was consider between canister and IOS one...
But couldn'y make my mind... Then the PA boss says canister good so i got it from him... If only i met you earlier... Sigh... Then i can save a fortune... When 3ft... i'm sure to get IOS then...

meowvin 30-07-2003 04:47 AM

If you really into marine you may get over flow system look like this http://www.arofanatics.com/members/l...rinetanksetup/

what time you going to c328?

melvin

Quote:

Actually... I was consider between canister and IOS one...
But couldn'y make my mind... Then the PA boss says canister good so i got it from him... If only i met you earlier... Sigh... Then i can save a fortune... When 3ft... i'm sure to get IOS then...

honkozai 30-07-2003 04:51 AM

Quote:

If you really into marine you may get over flow system look like this http://www.arofanatics.com/members/l...rinetanksetup/

what time you going to c328?

melvin

WOW... That must cost a fortune...
Anyway... I may be there in the afternoon...
Not sure yet cos must confirm with my friends also...