Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Arowana Discussion (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   My first red after quitting hobby for more a decade (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533135)

mick 13-07-2015 05:01 PM

Nice aro

Bro,

Can share tanning schedule ?
2hrs per day etc ?

washywashy 14-07-2015 11:17 PM

Wah! Another old-timer making a comeback with a red!! Superb piece bro, groom it well! :)

Flea 16-07-2015 10:58 AM

I am humbled (or rather my pet aro) by the compliments given. Anyway, it's kind of jumpy... it has jumped and injured itself twice. First occasion occurred on the first night when I switched off the light.

The second incident happened this morning when i discovered a scale at the base of the tank.

I have lowered the tank water level to 3/4, what should I do next, i.e. calming this fella?

Flea 16-07-2015 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 9878195)
Bro,

Can share tanning schedule ?
2hrs per day etc ?

I have LED light which I bought recently. I would switch it on daily for a couple of hours, I am not sure whether this regime is considered tanning?

streetsmart73 16-07-2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flea (Post 9879090)
I am humbled (or rather my pet aro) by the compliments given. Anyway, it's kind of jumpy... it has jumped and injured itself twice. First occasion occurred on the first night when I switched off the light.

The second incident happened this morning when i discovered a scale at the base of the tank.

I have lowered the tank water level to 3/4, what should I do next, i.e. calming this fella?

:D bro, your handsome red is still adjusting itself to the new environment.

Light on 24/7 to stabilise it.

May add blackwater to help calming the red.

shermie 16-07-2015 11:31 AM

Quote:

Nice means nice no need b humbled :) ur aro is accustomed to being tanned so keep ur lights on even at nite until it's stable. It can be easily spooked by shadows otherwise. What kind of cover are u using?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flea (Post 9879094)
I have LED light which I bought recently. I would switch it on daily for a couple of hours, I am not sure whether this regime is considered tanning?

What LED are u using? If it's the miracle arowana LED it's not enough for tanning.

vic 16-07-2015 11:31 AM

Quote:

The most idea situation is to use those programmable lights that dimmable so ur fish dun get a shock when its switch on.

The other ways is to use a timer to switch on and off ur lights at fixed time. After a while the fish gets used to the lighting routine.

Switching on the lights 24/7 doesn't help. It gets worst if the lights is switch off for whatever reason.

shermie 16-07-2015 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vic (Post 9879110)
The most idea situation is to use those programmable lights that dimmable so ur fish dun get a shock when its switch on.

The other ways is to use a timer to switch on and off ur lights at fixed time. After a while the fish gets used to the lighting routine.

Switching on the lights 24/7 doesn't help. It gets worst if the lights is switch off for whatever reason.

True. But it also depends on the environment the particular aro was raised in. If never exposed to tanning sudden addition of strong lights would stress it. if used to tanning 24/7 turning off the lights or a dark environment might stress it. It's all about slow acclimatising.

U're right though dimming the lights before switching off would b better. Although in this case dimming but keeping it on for the time being would work better since its stressed by the dark.

Personally I keep the room light on for an hour at least after switching off tank lights. Then keep a small night light on after turning off the room light. Manual dimming :cool: