Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Freshwater Invertebrates Forum (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   How to destroy snails? (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255218)

Steven Lim 21-09-2006 12:53 PM

How to destroy snails?

How to destroy snails when there are shrimps in the tank?

Medication totally out.
Puffer fish - eat shrimps?

Cant have predators that nib tails either

Any suggestions?

Steven Lim 21-09-2006 01:16 PM

Anyone else has snail problem?

Ahbird 21-09-2006 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Lim (Post 4572121)
How to destroy snails when there are shrimps in the tank?

Medication totally out.
Puffer fish - eat shrimps?

Cant have predators that nib tails either

Any suggestions?

bro can try salt a bit more than usual but not too much for ur fish inside:)

bentong 21-09-2006 06:26 PM

no real way to do it properly in a shrimp tank, just hv to put in puffer fish and make sure its full enuff to not touch ur shrimp..
either that or manually kill all the snails u see every single day for abt 1 month..

incubation period for snails is abt 2 wks, so make sure u leave ur puffer in there for at least 2 wks..

this is the perennial prob with shrimp tanks..

Steven Lim 22-09-2006 09:26 AM

Y618 recommended Female Bettas to me. Not very pretty but damn cheap.

They say Puffer will eat shrimps. Clown Loaches and Kuhli will dig up the gravel and make a nice big hole and ruin the aquascraping

tygerlim 22-09-2006 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Lim (Post 4574893)
Y618 recommended Female Bettas to me. Not very pretty but damn cheap.

They say Puffer will eat shrimps. Clown Loaches and Kuhli will dig up the gravel and make a nice big hole and ruin the aquascraping

Puffer was the proven controller, 1st time I heard about female bettas??

TALOS 22-09-2006 07:04 PM

agree with the bros.
either puffer or salt.
unless u can take out the shrimp and fish and soak the tank with lotsa water n salt.

Steven Lim 22-09-2006 11:29 PM

Puffer eats shrimps. I cant risk that

Salt, I added more. snails still ard. Maybe I add somemore

The female bettas went after the snail and peck at the snail which i throw into the Betta's tank. Will try out with more snails and tell u guys after my experiment

bentong 22-09-2006 11:42 PM

haha bettas and shrimps?
bad bad bad idea..
much worse than puffers..
bettas feast on brine shrimp, which are abt the size of ur baby shrimp, or larger.. so better watch out..
yeah, kuhli loach is considered the alternative, but i cant rmb if they attack shrimp or not..

Steven Lim 23-09-2006 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bentong (Post 4577520)
haha bettas and shrimps?
bad bad bad idea..
much worse than puffers..
bettas feast on brine shrimp, which are abt the size of ur baby shrimp, or larger.. so better watch out..
yeah, kuhli loach is considered the alternative, but i cant rmb if they attack shrimp or not..

Male Bettas is definitely a No No. The females seems alright, I placed 2 endlers in it and they were ok. I will put in a cherry to see if it is ok after I quarantine the fish.

Anyway, once the bettas removed the snails I will take them out of the main tank.

Kuhli loach, according to many websites wont disturb the shrimps. THe setback however is that Kuhli's teeth isnt made for eating snails so some people says that they dont eat snails at all. And kuhli dislike salt in water. With so much salt in it already, I doubt they can survive.