Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums

Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cichlid Experiences (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Urgent!! Are discus pair supposed to fight? (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532938)

arow 26-06-2015 11:42 AM

Urgent!! Are discus pair supposed to fight?

Recently, I bought a pair of discus, and when i brought them back to my tank, the male started attacking the female and the female dropped many scales. The female hasn't been eating since the day it's brought back.

Why is this happening? What can I do to stop the male from attacking the female?

Please help me. Thanks in advance

sthh 26-06-2015 12:13 PM

Discus are best kept in groups of 6 or more, unless they are a breeding pair. This will spread out the bickering and aggression.

hifi88 26-06-2015 12:38 PM

are they breeding pair

arow 26-06-2015 01:18 PM

Ya,i guess they are a breeding pair....i bought them as confirmed discus pair and when i when to the seller house i saw them having eggs on the cone

arow 26-06-2015 01:33 PM

i just separate them....but after the female recover then i will put them together.So can they still breed if i put them together?

itchy 26-06-2015 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arow (Post 9871457)
Ya,i guess they are a breeding pair....i bought them as confirmed discus pair and when i when to the seller house i saw them having eggs on the cone

Confirmed pair means having lay eggs and having fries . 2 female also can have eggs inside the tank.

novjoe 26-06-2015 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itchy (Post 9871584)
Confirmed pair means having lay eggs and having fries . 2 female also can have eggs inside the tank.

Agree. I have two females always going around together and laying eggs at different times making me thought that they are a pair. Until few months later, both of them lay eggs together and the eggs are of different colors. Moreover, this pair of sister has never fight each other before.

hifi88 26-06-2015 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arow (Post 9871457)

laying egg doesn't mean they are real natural pair , sometime seller sell force pair too , so it better to see pair with fry photo or video before buying , since you already separate them , wait for the female to recover and put it back again , if they fight again , most likely they are not natural pair

arow 26-06-2015 10:23 PM

So i got cheated? the seller said that it's a working pair, recently paired, and fries hatched before.

Any idea how to different male and female?

hifi88 26-06-2015 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arow (Post 9871742)
So i got cheated? the seller said that it's a working pair, recently paired, and fries hatched before.

Any idea how to different male and female?

if seller said have fry before , then they are pair , maybe the male suddenly dislike the female :D